Author Topic: Pinion Angle Cams question  (Read 875 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Pinion Angle Cams question
« on: July 10, 2007, 08:15:17 AM »
Is a Pinion Angle Cam set needed if I use a 1.75" coil spring spacer kit? I thought they were only needed if I was going to go 3" or higher but superlift includes them with the Superide 1.75" Lift Kit. I'm ordering this lift next week and just want to know before I get into the install.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Re: Pinion Angle Cams question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:05:17 AM »
Anyone, anyone?
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

jcsanders79

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:26:56 AM »
You wont need to make any adjustments to the axle with that lift.  If anything you would need a transfer case drop kit.  A four inch lift only requires a 1" TC drop to keep the driveshaft angle right so I wouldn't worry at all.  There is a reason they call them budget boost, they are cheap and don't require any additional modds.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
You wont need to make any adjustments to the axle with that lift.  If anything you would need a transfer case drop kit.  A four inch lift only requires a 1" TC drop to keep the driveshaft angle right so I wouldn't worry at all.  There is a reason they call them budget boost, they are cheap and don't require any additional modds.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't know why they are provided with the bb then. I'll just leave them out when I do the install.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:52:51 AM »
Yes, you DO need them (if your TJ didn't already come from the factory with them, early models did).

The cam bolts are used to adjust caster in the front axle.  It's been my experience that when installing a BB I've had to run the caster all the way out, pushing the bottom of the front axle as far forward as possible.  This removed driveshaft angle vibes and provided for the best steering.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:23:38 AM »
Conflicting opinions...lol.  Here's what I'll do, I'll install them. If I have a problem then I will adjust them. I have an 02 tj so I don't think it came from the factory with them. I'll have to have a look.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »
I don't think the '02 will have them.

Install them in the centered position, it'll be the same as the bolt blanks you have in there now.  You'll likely get a slight driveshaft vibe and some quick squirelly steering.  Then run them suckers all the way out so as to lengthen the lower control arms as much as possible.

Let us know how it works out.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:02:50 AM »
I don't think the '02 will have them.

Install them in the centered position, it'll be the same as the bolt blanks you have in there now.  You'll likely get a slight driveshaft vibe and some quick squirelly steering.  Then run them suckers all the way out so as to lengthen the lower control arms as much as possible.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks Bounty Hunter. It's going to be a week before I order anything and I'm still up in the air as to what lift I'll be ordering. I'll post a follow up on how things went.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:34:06 AM »
You'll likely get a slight drive shaft vibe and some quick squirelly steering. 

Do I need to do any mods to the front or is this all for the rear?

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »
He was talking about the front in the rear you could use a cheap angle finder or a tape measure to see if the driveline angles are correct. If you would turn the yokes in a 12 o clock position the distance from yoke to yoke on the top should be the same as on the bottom from yoke to yoke. if so all will be well especially if the driveline angle in relation to the yokes is less than 8 degrees. If so it should run without vibration
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE