Author Topic: head porting?  (Read 1086 times)

Schris1

head porting?
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »
Has any one ported or had their heads ported?  Meaning, just cleaning up the casting in the head to help the airflow.

Also, has anyone had the edges taken off of the valve seats to help with airflow?  What were the results and cost?  Thanks

Schris1

Re: head porting?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »
Anyone?  Has no one modified their 2.5L head?

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:25:42 AM »
Not yet :clap:  Will be port matching mine as soon as I have an excuse to pull the head.

wrangler387

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
I ported mine. The valve seat/boss area is a really huge restrictor on our heads. I narrow those things down A LOT, and i also shaved down some of the humps from the headbolts at the entrance. Then just did a basic clean-up on everything else. I brought the head to a machine shop for a simple 3 angle valve-job afterwords.

Oilsmoke

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:58:25 AM »
So when do you plan to install it?

wrangler387

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »
I've had it installed for the past 3000 miles. It runs good.

Oilsmoke

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 08:35:40 PM »
I Have ported a few banshee cylinders with great results and in my younger days a few kawasaki motocrossers.
Never did a 4 cycle head before But i plan on doing a general clean up and i will smooth out the raidaus to valve seat area. I'm thinking smaller cc's intake runners make higher velocity flow into the cyclinders which helps the torque and still adds horsepower.I won't hog out any areas. I'm just making mental notes.

Wrangler387
Tell me more about headbolt area? are these in the int or ext ports?

wrangler387

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »
I didn't hog out anything, i just focused on trying to improve upon what a pitiful design i had infront of me lol. The port entry on both intake/exhaust have these humps im talking about. Once you look at the head without the manifolds on it you will see what i'm talking about. The valve boss area was a big thing that i focused on thinning/shapping (i did not lower it at all since it is a street motor). Then i just did basic smoothining and blending, the valve seat to throat transitions were pretty bad also. The whole head is really a bad design.

Schris1

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »
How did it make your Jeep run afterwards?