Author Topic: How to speed up my Jeep for the everyday drive.  (Read 1454 times)

sickjeepjohn

How to speed up my Jeep for the everyday drive.
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
I am new to Jeep ownership and I was wondering if there is a way to get my jeep moving faster than 60 mph? Hopefully something that is not going to cost a lot. My Jeep is a 1991 wrangler 2.5L 5 speed. 3.5 inch lift 31" tires. I wanna jump on and off the interstate without getting the middle finger. Thanks.

jcsanders79

Re: How to speed up my Jeep for the everyday drive.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »
A regear is the best way.  There is the trottle body swap and spacer (bountyhunter in the vendors section can hook you up), electric fan, mustang injectors, air intake, header......

jdarg

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »
If you are still using your overdrive 5th gear that is the root of your problem. Forget it even exists.

The 2.5L will gladly turn 3000-3500 rpm all day long on the interstate in 4th gear so don't worry about the revs. The mileage will probably be better than bogging the engine in 5th at the same speed too.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:34:43 AM by jdarg »

Banshee600

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »
get with bounty hunter and get the 62mm tb and spacer hog out the intake to match the dia. of the spacer so far that the best mod of donefor the price. I run on the freeway everyday here in washington with hills and run in 5th gear at 65 mph all the way with gas pedal to spare. my tires are 32 bfg mudders and 4:10 gears.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
get with bounty hunter and get the 62mm tb and spacer hog out the intake to match the dia. of the spacer so far that the best mod of donefor the price. I run on the freeway everyday here in washington with hills and run in 5th gear at 65 mph all the way with gas pedal to spare. my tires are 32 bfg mudders and 4:10 gears.
Banshee, 62mm or 4.0L t/b is a good and cheap upgrade so i agree with you on that but... 65mph in 5th gear is not going to win any medals plus you need to stick to the right since in WA you're supposed to keep up at 75 on the speed lane (same here, have 33s and 4.0tb + 4.10 - in fifth could maybe hold that speed but regardless of the pedal to spare the next uphill or opposing wind i had to downshift) - so unless all the roads are downhill and you've got wind in the sails it's not going to blow your mind when you swap the t/b (no tire marks for sure). It is a good mod regardless, will not fix the r&p ratio though but will gain some extra ponies and every little bit helps so all the other ones that were listed before will add up to something that you will notice. I agree with all of those except for the spacer (i got a helix brand one from a wreck place, looks nice and shiny with a pretty sticker on it but made absolutely no difference, or if it does i couldn't tell).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

sickjeepjohn

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
Wow you guys rock. I am reading about 65 until I hit 5th gear so I will just stay out of it.. It does actually slow me down to about 55 no matter how far the pedal is down. I'll check out the mods as well. Thanks again.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:01:11 PM »
the not using 5th gear mod is one of the best and cheapest Ive used... electric fan helped me quite abit also..
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

drunkencityworker

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
is there any way to get that no 5th gear mod on an automatic.....hahahs

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
is there any way to get that no 5th gear mod on an automatic.....hahahs
yeah, just use 2nd only :roflol: will give you a wopping top speed of about 35mph but will keep you from getting speeding tickets.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end