Author Topic: towing your jeep  (Read 815 times)

Offline chardrc

towing your jeep
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
so after ounce again lookign at my jeep on the trailer wondering how to strap it down without crushing any brake lines or rubbing a hole through my shocks last weekend. i have decided its probably a good idea to see what other people are doing... i ended up doing 2 hooks around the front leafs around the front axle with a strap from each side of the axle... doesn't rub on anything but concerned me that im only tying into the front axle leaving the possibility for the rear to move around ( although it didn't).. so how do you guys chain down your yj (or tj).... and for all you hardcore drive to the wheeling spot guys.. i don't trust myself to keep my jeep running after a weekend of wheeling  :weee: :gimp:..  :wall:.. thanks for your help :thumb:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Castr8r

Re: towing your jeep
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
If you go look on Pirate4X4.com, you'll find some good info on tying down.  That being said, it's a very controversial subject!  I angle to the front tow points and crank the ratchet straps down as hard and tight as I can.  In back, I wrap a chain around the nose of the diff and use a binder to get it tight.  All done with an eye toward a proper loading of the trailer tongue.  I'm considering getting some automotive tie down hooks like are used on car carriers, trains, etc., and tying down by the frame.  Since that's the way the pros do it, it must work well.  This is a good question, and I'm looking forward to some discussion.  Thanks!

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:52:38 AM »
I will ONLY tie off to the 4 corners of the frame compressing the suspension. A guy in my club wrecked on the freeway a couple years ago and left the tow rig on it's side. The trailer was upside down after the wreck with the jeep still attached after tying down the same way. That is enough evidence for me.

If you strap the axles you have the unsprung weight moving around, not a big deal for cars or stock rigs but on a lifted vehicle with a soft suspension it is dangerous IMHO.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
If your suspension is soft enough to unload its weight on the trailer, I wouldn't wheel it.

If you strap to the body/frame, it's impossible to completely compress the suspension and the straps will loosen when the suspension compresses during towing.  Strap to the axles only.  I go over the front axletube and hook to each front corner of the trailer.  Same in the rear but up over the pinion and beneath each axletube.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org