Author Topic: Your experience with the fuel injector "upgrade"...  (Read 2642 times)

dos0711

Your experience with the fuel injector "upgrade"...
« on: July 17, 2009, 05:12:02 AM »
I have a 95 YJ and have some 19lb injectors coming. What was your experience with them? Did you notice much increase if at all? I've got a 4.0 TB and a free flow exhaust so I'm hoping 19lbs is right on the money.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Your experience with the fuel injector "upgrade"...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:42 AM »
I have a '94 with 19# injectors, and they work just fine...  I also have a 62mm TB with 62mm spacer, as well as PD ignition, Airhog Filter and Snorkel (takes cold air from the top, so it kind of works like a CAI) and Borla Cat Back and High-flow header.  Each mod added a little power, and all together, you can feel the difference, but it is still not like driving a 6 cylinder, so as long as your expectations are realistic, you will not feel dissapointed.  I feel the difference mostly in mid throttle and especially driving on the highway (dont need to downshift as often).  My biggest change was when I put 4.88 gears, though...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Bikerjr1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:04:07 AM »
I didn't notice that much difference with the #19lb injectors installed, but I have the older nozzle style ones.  I have a 4.0l TB with K&N intake.  Running 33's, my 4.88 gears gave me the most boost.  I figure when the 2.5 get bad I'll swap a Ford motor and tranny in.
JR

dos0711

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »
So it's not worth bothering?

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:15:01 AM »
I would do it again if I were in your position, just done expect to feel it when you accellarate.  It's the ADDING of all the small mods that make the 2.5L a better engine; no single mod will give you a big boost in performance except for maybe a supercharger, turbo or gear changes (none of which are cheap).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

jcsanders79

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »
Like Jfrabat said :koolaid:

Offline justin399

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
I'm glad I did mine to. With the 4.0 TB swap, spacer,  and the 19# injectors I felt a difference in the mid throttle. Mine also idled a whole lot better.
93 YJ:2.5l aussie's front & rear, 4.0TB & spacer, hand throttle, 19lb injectors, no trackbars, ramsey 8.5e.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:59:34 AM »
I installed the 19lb Ford injectors.  They definitely let you wind the engine out, so I am happy with them.  I passed the CARB test with them also. 

Still, I have a Borla cat-back and that thing can get pretty loud if you are winding the engine out in the city all the time. 
So, in my case my Jeep really only benefits from having the 19lb injectors when it comes to accelerating on highway on-ramps where "noise creation"  :lol:  isn't typically a big deal.   
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
I installed the 19lb Ford injectors.  They definitely let you wind the engine out, so I am happy with them.  I passed the CARB test with them also. 

Still, I have a Borla cat-back and that thing can get pretty loud if you are winding the engine out in the city all the time. 
So, in my case my Jeep really only benefits from having the 19lb injectors when it comes to accelerating on highway on-ramps where "noise creation"  :lol:  isn't typically a big deal.   
do you know the P/N for your Ford injectors by any chance?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:56:12 AM »
do you know the P/N for your Ford injectors by any chance?

I got them off fleabay fairly cheap. It was a set of 8 so I sold the 4 I didn't need to another dude on here.  But as for part number, all I know is they were 19lb-ers, yellow, had 4 nozzles and were from a Ford V8 -- I think a Mustang 5.0 from the early-mid 90s.  Jeffy has an post on them here that helped me know what I was looking for:  http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,3479.0.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:00:06 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »
i'm trying to figure out what injectors are in the 91-95 4 banger (what rating) - I found it in Jeffy's post at 17.4 and the same in a few other on the internet, but could not find a confirmed rating - the only thing i found was a bosch direct fit replacement here: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp. this injector P/N 0-280-158-044 is rated at 20.2lb/hr@43.5psi and that came down to 19.13lb/hr at 39psi which is the fuel pressure in the rail in my Jeep - this is a bit different than 17.4 and it is listed as oem replacement  :puzzled:. I also found that there are a lot of different injectors for the Ford 5.0L and the flow varies quite a bit - that's why i was asking for the P/N since you passed emissions means it's the one to go with - I put together this http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,7203.0.html - did a bit of research and seems that if you go by the engine size on a Ford it could be a guessing game
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
i'm trying to figure out what injectors are in the 91-95 4 banger (what rating) - I found it in Jeffy's post at 17.4 and the same in a few other on the internet, but could not find a confirmed rating - the only thing i found was a bosch direct fit replacement here: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp. this injector P/N 0-280-158-044 is rated at 20.2lb/hr@43.5psi and that came down to 19.13lb/hr at 39psi which is the fuel pressure in the rail in my Jeep - this is a bit different than 17.4 and it is listed as oem replacement  :puzzled:. I also found that there are a lot of different injectors for the Ford 5.0L and the flow varies quite a bit - that's why i was asking for the P/N since you passed emissions means it's the one to go with - I put together this http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,7203.0.html - did a bit of research and seems that if you go by the engine size on a Ford it could be a guessing game

Good point.  I guess I got lucky.  Have to see if I can locate a number on the outside of one of the injectors already installed.  Otherwise, I'm no help.