Author Topic: Hey guys yjmech here  (Read 2013 times)

YJmechanic

Hey guys yjmech here
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:04:56 PM »
Hey guys been a while and havent talked to everybody in a while.  Life has been crazy lately and i havent had time for too much jeep stuff but wanted to let everybody know that im going to try and be on more often and let you know an update on the motor. its running good still and was thinking about going the turbo route just for fun.  Think i can get away with about 5psi and maybe send this thing toward the 250 range.  But i want to know some opinions from you guys since way back when  this thing started i built that motor just to have a "it can be done" moment for all us 4bangers.  So let me know what you guys think.  If i can pull off the turbo built in conjunction with the motor that i built not only will i shut off the 4.0 guys but maybe a few v8s too. 

Also i hope i got all the questions answered that you guys sent me and got all the thread replies but im sure with how fast things run around here i probably missed some so let me know and as always i will be glad to help
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:05:17 PM by YJmechanic »

jcsanders79

Re: Hey guys yjmech here
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
I have no info for you but would love to see a 2.5 push 250hp!!!  I'm generally the only 2.5 on rides with lots of 4.0's and a few V8's.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
How do turbo motors do with a fairly high compression ratio like you have?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »
How do turbo motors do with a fairly high compression ratio like you have?
x2 on that question.
in your case i would supercharge and keep my hopes up that won't brake (if you are at 200 and want to give it another 25% - 4psi would be a little more than that actually) - but yeah, i would love to see that too.

have a question for you: can't remember but what pistons did you use and what rings?

oh, and good to have you back, seen some posts asking questions about your build, so time to catch up  :clap:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »
I think it would be better if you could create a thread or a write up regarding that motor upgrade...

http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,6007.0.html

Here is the specs on his build.

Another ? would be how long would the AX5 last with the added power? Seems to me that with the upgrades already done it's not gonna be long before it has issues. :puzzled:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

YJmechanic

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
well an force induction on a high compression motor is not a good combo.  To drop my compression though i s only a matter or adding depth to my head gasket.  i have a descently thin gasket now and putting a thicker one on will drop me down below 10:1 if i need to.  i would rather have the blower as well but the cost differance is rediculous.  i think i can adapt  over a used car turbo and some left parts from my insano suby and get away with the turbo without to much expense.   Plus the blower is not that interesting,  and lots of guys are already running them.  i think the turbo will be more unique and be alot more cost effective,  unless anyone knows where to sorce used blowers that can be adapted. 

As far as the ax5 it has been redone multiple times now and i will not be rebuilding it again.  If i go with the turbo idea, aka keeping the 4banger, then i will convert to an ax15 or nv3550.  if you have been here long enough then you might remember when i finished the motor and the first hard pull on it i bent the front shaft out of the ax5.  The ax5 i have now has hardened rocklend gears and stuff but i know it still will not last,  just didnt have time for the converstion at the time.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
its good to have you back... there is one guy on here that is doing a home brewed blower installation (although its a slow build as you would imagine). would love to so a 250 hp 4banger.. either way it will be exciting to read about and dream of.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
after all the overhauling you've done to your 4 banger, how much better-aside from the power upgrade-does your jeep run. is it more efficient now or are you sucking down more gas with the beefed up 4cyl? another question:if one were to go the route you took on an overhaul, can you still use aftermarket parts such as performance headers and intakes or have the engine internals changed so much that aftermarket products designed for a 2.5 wont work anymore ie: will a banks header for a 2.5 still fit and add to the overall efficiency?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
well an force induction on a high compression motor is not a good combo.  To drop my compression though i s only a matter or adding depth to my head gasket.  i have a descently thin gasket now and putting a thicker one on will drop me down below 10:1 if i need to.  i would rather have the blower as well but the cost differance is rediculous.  i think i can adapt  over a used car turbo and some left parts from my insano suby and get away with the turbo without to much expense.   Plus the blower is not that interesting,  and lots of guys are already running them.  i think the turbo will be more unique and be alot more cost effective,  unless anyone knows where to sorce used blowers that can be adapted. 

As far as the ax5 it has been redone multiple times now and i will not be rebuilding it again.  If i go with the turbo idea, aka keeping the 4banger, then i will convert to an ax15 or nv3550.  if you have been here long enough then you might remember when i finished the motor and the first hard pull on it i bent the front shaft out of the ax5.  The ax5 i have now has hardened rocklend gears and stuff but i know it still will not last,  just didnt have time for the converstion at the time.

i think an eaton would work, you can look on ebay - got my s/c there quite cheap and it's an opcon autorotor (same as kenne-bell and avenger used, i think kb is using the lysholm now, but they're the same company just the blower a bit different). The reason i chose an s/c is that you get more torque at low end and the air charge is lower temp, but you're right the turbo would be easier to put in.

Where do you get the thicker head gaskets? or do you have to custom order them somewhere?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

YJmechanic

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
look up the headgasket thing on line cause alotta companies like flepro makes differant  thicknesses,  or some can be doubled up but they have to be made to do that.  i do want to do the sc instead of the turbo and actually the blower is easier in a way but much less common and much more expensive.  i have a possible line on an eaton m90 setup from a thunderbird right now and if that pans out i will be goin that route probably.  as far as the efficiency of the motor,  it depends,  if you have 35 and heavy bumpers and wich and such like mine all the power is still making it more efficient cause the motor is not working nearly as hard,  now if you were stock it could be a fine line,  yes all aftermarket headers and such will still fit just fine.  i run a borla 4-1  which supports more high end but you can get 421 headers that should be a little more torque minded.