Author Topic: Steering box upgrades  (Read 3892 times)

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Steering box upgrades
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »
yeah i gotta go with jeffy on this one,  if you are causing hard input like up against something or just the pressure of the 4wd pushing on the front end it is going to make some noise,  again i would recommend taking your time looking for a good deal and hang on to it till you have a failure

I gotta agree that the pump noise is normal.
It's the side to side movement of the sector shaft in the steering box that has me a bit worried. It's not enough to cause a leak or any issues with steering but I would imagine it will get worse overtime. Maybe it's normal, I don't know. Steering failures...well they suck! I'd like to avoid them if I could :lol:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 05:11:07 AM »
A cooler for the power steering will help some with the noise, that fluid gets a cooking on the trail. A good Dakota box will make a nice upgrade, the sector shaft having some play on its bushings is not uncommon. Even if it would leak you will still have manual steering
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
A cooler for the power steering will help some with the noise, that fluid gets a cooking on the trail. A good Dakota box will make a nice upgrade, the sector shaft having some play on its bushings is not uncommon. Even if it would leak you will still have manual steering

Good to know. I have A cooler, just need to put it on.

What kind of steering fluid is everyone running? Syn. Dino? ATF?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

jcsanders79

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »
I looked into this and decided it wasn't worth it unless my steering box went out.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
Good to know. I have A cooler, just need to put it on.

What kind of steering fluid is everyone running? Syn. Dino? ATF?
always used atf
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 06:04:36 AM »
Most any car or truck manufacturer recommends against the use of ATF it's a recipe for leaking seals, just use the recommended stuff and use a cooler, I know I have been lazy have a cooler, but its still siting on a shelf. They do make a difference though
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE