Author Topic: Please take a look, any and all help is appreciated  (Read 976 times)

Dittrich31

Please take a look, any and all help is appreciated
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
So basically ive been saving up for a new car and realized that i have so much time blood and tears in my baby it would kill me to see her go to some ass hole who is going to low ball me to death, that being said I have a little chuck of change to fix her up and want to know a few things before i go ahead and spend it.
Jeep specs: 95' jeep wrangler, 2.5 L, 2.5" suspension 3/4" shackel lift, 31x10.5x15 tires.

-well the first thing im doing is buying a new trans and clutch assembly, The synchros have been gone in 2nd since i bought her and its cheaper than a rebuild. Should I have anything checked out on the jeep before i do this?

-I want to remove the rear tracbar and replace the front with a JKS telescoping tracbar. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Is it safe to remove the rear trackbar?

-I would also like to do a 62mm TB and spacer, Taures cooling fan with a DC controller, and a safari snorkel or CAI. Might be a stupid question but i have read that the ax5 cant handle many engine mods should these effect it at all?

-I would like some info on why regear. What should I experience if i regear to 4.88? Gas mileage, speed, overall power, exc

Thanks alot guys any help will be greatly appreciated, Id just like to get your expert opinions before i throw most of my savings in this project, I keep telling myself it will be worth it

Sine Deviance

Re: Please take a look, any and all help is appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
So basically ive been saving up for a new car and realized that i have so much time blood and tears in my baby it would kill me to see her go to some ass hole who is going to low ball me to death, that being said I have a little chuck of change to fix her up and want to know a few things before i go ahead and spend it.
Jeep specs: 95' jeep wrangler, 2.5 L, 2.5" suspension 3/4" shackel lift, 31x10.5x15 tires.

I am running roughly the same setup as you. '95 YJ, 2.5L/AX-5, 2" Black Diamond lift, BFG 31x10.5x15's. Works pretty well, doesn't it? :biggrin:

-well the first thing im doing is buying a new trans and clutch assembly, The synchros have been gone in 2nd since i bought her and its cheaper than a rebuild. Should I have anything checked out on the jeep before i do this?

The only thing I can recommend is that you buy a clutch kit instead of individual components. You may also want to buy a new flywheel to replace the old one in case it's warped or etched, they run about $50 plus a core charge. The reasoning for this is since you're already down there you might as well replace the flywheel/pilot bushing/throwout bearing while you have access to the clutch, and the 'kit' saves you some money.

-I would also like to do a 62mm TB and spacer, Taures cooling fan with a DC controller, and a safari snorkel or CAI. Might be a stupid question but i have read that the ax5 cant handle many engine mods should these effect it at all?

That depends. The AX-5 is generally seen as weak, this is true. The same can be said for the stock D35 rear axle. In my experience the AX-5/D35 can handle the extra power from a bigger throttle body and a better intake. I would assume it will also handle an e-fan swap just fine. In my opinion, as long as you're not running tires any larger than what you have now, you should be okay. There are others on the forum with lots of engine mods that are still running the AX-5, so you will likely get some better answers than this one. If you decide you want to go to bigger tires in the future I would consider fixing then selling your 2.5L YJ and trying to find one with a 4.0L HO and a D44 rear, then just swapping over your mods. It would be simpler in the long run and probably will save you some money compared to an engine/trans swap. The AX-15 is the 4.0L transmission, and is a much stronger transmission. Unfortunately it does not bolt up to the 2.5L and, as far as I know, no adapters exist for it.

-I would like some info on why regear. What should I experience if i regear to 4.88? Gas mileage, speed, overall power, exc

When you re-gear with the 'proper' ratio for the tires you're running it just puts you back in the correct torque ranges. This will improve your ability to maintain speed in 5th gear on the interstate. You'll also be able to get up to speed faster. MPG will take a small hit because you'll be running at higher RPM at the same speeds, though.

If I remember correctly, the 'right' ratio for 31's is 4.53, or close to. The problem is that you already start with 4.10's and 4.53 isn't enough of a change to warrant the money and time spent. 4.88 is a better choice for this reason but that ratio is meant for 33's. Not only that, if you were going to re-gear in the first place I'd consider finding a D44 for the rear first. The stock D35 rear is relatively weak and 33's often prove to be too much for it. Re-gearing itself is very expensive in the first place, and if you're going to spend all that money you might as well spend it on a better axle. For reference, it's also a good idea to re-gear the front, and the stock D30 front should be strong enough to handle it.

Thanks alot guys any help will be greatly appreciated, Id just like to get your expert opinions before i throw most of my savings in this project, I keep telling myself it will be worth it

Well, I feel obligated to tell you that I don't consider myself an expert on anything I told you up there. I implore you to get multiple opinions before you make your decision. But personally, I like my 2.5L and I don't see anything wrong with it right now. In factory trim it's a little underpowered but the mod possibilities and aftermarket are both there. I will admit that if I ever have the money to do it properly I'll consider swapping in a modern smallblock 350 with EFI mated to an NV4500 transmission and running D44's or better front and rear. To me, that would be like the holy grail.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:43:08 PM by Sine Deviance »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »

-I want to remove the rear tracbar and replace the front with a JKS telescoping tracbar. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Is it safe to remove the rear trackbar?

jfrabat has one on his

you'll make better use of the engine torque at the wheels (resulting torque at the wheel would be higher, think of it as when you use a longer braker bar would be easier to brake loose a bolt, same physics behind the "longer" gears) and also get your rpms to a higher powerband - speed and power benefits, not sure if mpg would improve or not

all these will give you some extra ponies. If you do the CAI make sure you install it as the name specifies (Cold Air Intake) and not sucking in hot air under the hood, best if you combine it with a snorkel or some cold air inlet from outside the engine bay.
If you can you should upgrade to an AX15 or NV3550, but it will not be cheap - the extra power won't be anything like blowing your AX5 so i would say that this is not a deal breaker - it won't brake any faster (or as fast if you wish) with these mods, but it is still a weak transmission.
I do have a 64mm t/b and spacer for sale in the garage sale section if you are interested.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Dittrich31

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
best if you combine it with a snorkel or some cold air inlet from outside the engine bay.

How would I go about combining a cold air and a snorkel? Wouldnt the snorkel already be sucking in "cold" air and it moves the airbox out side of the engine compartment? 

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
How would I go about combining a cold air and a snorkel? Wouldnt the snorkel already be sucking in "cold" air and it moves the airbox out side of the engine compartment? 

yes, you're correct. What i meant is that a lot of times the cone filter kit is referred as cold air intake. so if you go with a cone filter make sure it's enclosed and getting air from outside rather than the engine bay - should have explained this better in my first post.

the snorkel won't move your airbox outside the engine compartment, they have a tube that goes to the stock airbox, but will serve as the cold air inlet in this case, so that would work just fine.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »
I have not found the trackbar to be useful, removed both off my 94 in 1995 and never regretted it. I tried no sway bar and did not like that at all for general driving it made the YJ too squirrly...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio