Author Topic: Exhaust Problem need help !!!  (Read 589 times)

yjrockcrusher

Exhaust Problem need help !!!
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
HI, I have a pacesetter header and I just recently did a rebuild on my engine . Before I did the rebuild it sounded like the exhaust leak was at the header I put a new gasket and still had the problem.When I took everything off the engine I checked the header closely and found no cracks the gasket that was taken off didn't have any places where the exhaust looked like it was leaking. When I put the engine back in I put 2 manifold gaskets on and I still have the same problem. I noticed when it is running with the oil fill cap off there is air pressure comming from the head. Is this normal ? I haven't noticed this before and none of my other vehicles do this. Could a muffler or converter being clogged cause back pressure and make it sound like a header leak?  Thanks in advance it is a 2.5L

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Exhaust Problem need help !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
HI, I have a pacesetter header and I just recently did a rebuild on my engine . Before I did the rebuild it sounded like the exhaust leak was at the header I put a new gasket and still had the problem.When I took everything off the engine I checked the header closely and found no cracks the gasket that was taken off didn't have any places where the exhaust looked like it was leaking. When I put the engine back in I put 2 manifold gaskets on and I still have the same problem. I noticed when it is running with the oil fill cap off there is air pressure comming from the head. Is this normal ? I haven't noticed this before and none of my other vehicles do this. Could a muffler or converter being clogged cause back pressure and make it sound like a header leak?  Thanks in advance it is a 2.5L

if you have a rubber hose and put one end to your ear and move the other one around the exhaust manifold you'd hear if there's a leak. also check where the header meets the downpipe, that can leak too. I don't think the 2 gaskets would help, but did you use the one that has both exhaust and intake or just the exhaust - if the latter then it could be a matter of thickness, pacesetter comes with both intake/exhaust gasket and some offset washers to compensate between the different thickness (intake / exhaust) - if you dont have those or used exhaust gasket only then it would not seat properly.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end