Author Topic: 2.5 diagnostic question  (Read 742 times)

miramichimudder

2.5 diagnostic question
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
Hey guys I have a 1990 yj with a 2.5l that is giving me a bit of a headache.  First off it has about 330,000kms and ever since I bought it in August 2009 it has been flooding or running rich on start up and idling real rough but seemed to get better once warmed up.  So far I have installed new plugs, wires, cap, button, fuel filter, air filter, and pcv.  All of this has seemed to help, then when I was fixing the rear frame and had the tank off I found a partially pinched gas line and a loose wire on the tank connection.  Since correcting this I seem to be having on ongoing issue that either was always there and now is just getting worse since the temperatures are consistently above 0 or is something new.  The flooding and running rich was said by many to be the coolant temp sensor so I replaced it tonight.  And I thought I had found the problem because it started and stalled and then on the second attempt it started and held an idle although a little rough but better.  But after close to 5mins idling it started the sputtering and erratic rpms until finally it stalled.  It will fire right up again and idle high for maybe 30 secs then start sputtering all over again.  If you pull out right after it fires up it will pull all right as long as you stay in the gas and kepp the rpms up if you let it run down around 2000 on the tac it will start sputtering and smucking or backfiring through the throttle body.  If you can put up with that for about the first 15 mins of driving it will go away and run pretty good except for the rpms being a little high on idle everything seems fine.  So tonight I took it for a drive but no long enough to warm it up real good, shut it off and let it set for about 10mins then started it up, it started no problem but would idle fine for 30 seconds then drop right off and almost stall for about 10 seconds, then idle good for 30 and so on.

Sorry for the lon rant just trying to give as many details as I can th8ink of.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:17:23 PM by miramichimudder »

Offline dwtaylorpdx

Re: 2.5 diagnostic question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
The main engine sensors are basically service items,

O2
Throttle Position Sensor
Crank Position Sensor
Cam position (IN distributor)

I Changed mine out 1 at a time and kept the ones that didn't help for spares until I found the bad TPS.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline chardrc

Re: 2.5 diagnostic question
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
The main engine sensors are basically service items,
O2
Throttle Position Sensor
Crank Position Sensor
Cam position (IN distributor)

1990 is tbi.. so no cam position sensor. i would check the throttle and crank position sensors first since they are used when cold. you could also check the manifold air temperature sensor. procedures for testing those should all be in the link

http://jeepgarage.free.fr/OWN/2.5l%20cec%20system.pdf

1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr