Author Topic: heavy duty tie rod kit??  (Read 740 times)

N8whitie

heavy duty tie rod kit??
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
So I got all of my suspension stuff ordered. I went with the BDS 4.5 system w/o the shocks because I'm putting the f-250 shock towers. With everything bought and priced out it was around 1400. so that leaves some extra cash. I was thinking about a heavy duty tie rod kit. Mine look pretty smoked and weak... seems unsafe. I was looking at this Rugged Ridge kit. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_103.htm   Let me know what you think or if its even necessary. Seems like beefed up tie rods can only do good on a trail but then again I don't know much yet. Thanks.

Offline neale_rs

Re: heavy duty tie rod kit??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »
It can't hurt but it may not be absolutely necessary if you are not smashing the rods into rocks.  I've been running the stock rods for a few years now on some fairly hard trails with no problems.  If I were to buy it, I would carry it as a spare until the stock rods get damaged, and it might be for quite a while.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
I'd just flip the stock tie rod (and I did).  Gets it up further out of the way and corrects the steering geometry.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

N8whitie

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
Ok, thanks. I'm pretty sure its been on there since 1995 and it does look beat down so I'm going to go with a stock just to play it safe and maybe keep the old one as a spare to get me out of the woods if needed.