Author Topic: AX15 behind 2.5L YJ and what adapter  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Eucalypta

• Eucalypta Oud-Hollands Snoepgoed
AX15 behind 2.5L YJ and what adapter
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »
Hello Jeepers,

Again I have a question and I hope you can help me.
I have been wheeling with my 2.5 and stock AX5 for some time. I feel the time is come to either overhaul the AX5 or replace it with a AX15.
NOVAK strongly advices not to do that because the 2.5L would not be strong enough for off-roading but I think,and most of you will agree, that the "little" engine is strong enough to have some fun with.

[I read former posts about the subject but swapping complete engine for a V6 or finding spare parts on junkjards is not much of an option where I live]

So my questions to you:
-Would you upgrade to AX15 or overhaul (or another idea?)
-If upgrade to AX15, what adapter would you buy?
-Would I need an other transfercase as well? (I think I need also a shorter rear drive shaft?)

I really hope you can help me...going cold-turkey on off-roading is a terrible thing!

John
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:06:30 PM by Eucalypta »
To Boldly go where no one has gone before - James T Kirk
1994 YJ 2.5L - 1996 ZJ 5.2 V8

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: AX15 behind 2.5L YJ and what adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
if there's a choice I say upgrade to AX15 or NV3550
you need a Dodge Dakota '96-'98 bellhousing, an Advance Adapters pilot bushing and a Camaro 4 cyl clutch disk
you don't need another t-case but you need to replace the input shaft (the AX-15 output is 23 spline, the AX-5 is 21) - You might be able to trade yours in and get the 23 spline t-case, they are exactly the same

read my Drivetrain Upgrades project, there are some details in there for the bellhousing and clutch and some pictures to give you an idea what's involved.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
read my Drivetrain Upgrades project, there are some details in there for the bellhousing and clutch and some pictures to give you an idea what's involved.
Thnx!

Yep, read it and was awed how the JEEP community is able to find out exactly what parts from other cars fit so they can upgrade theirs :)

Haven't yet searched but I expect it is hard to find parts like clutchplate or bellhousing in a scrapyard in Europe. After a good night rest I will look more into this and see what the (affordable) possibilities are for me.

Will keep you informed!

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
Decided to overhaul the AX5 and stock clutch.
Will see if I can take a lot of pictures, maybe do a write-up on the procedure.