Author Topic: undercoating opinions  (Read 2461 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
undercoating opinions
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »
The winter in the northeast has been brutal this time around. Plenty of salt on the road, sand kicking around etc. Ive started to notice some rust patches growing under the frame. A friend of mine had his undercarriage sprayed with ONYX bedliner. What are you guys using? Id like something that will seal everything up and resist weather as well as the salt and sand the DOT puts down.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
Re: undercoating opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
i did a little google search and ive noticed that opinions on this are pretty divided. some people say that undercoating actually does more damage...chipping and allowing moisture in and rusting out.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
i did a little google search and ive noticed that opinions on this are pretty divided. some people say that undercoating actually does more damage...chipping and allowing moisture in and rusting out.

ya I have seen many debates on it.. personal once I get my body fixed up I will just do a spay box liner on the bottom of it.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
ya I have seen many debates on it.. personal once I get my body fixed up I will just do a spay box liner on the bottom of it.
im hoping that if i bring it to an ONYX spray shop they can spray the undercarriage with an agent to attack the rust spots and then seal it all with the ONYX.

JohnnyO

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
I painted most of the chassis, suspension, and both sides of the floorpan with POR-15.  With a brush.  Yes it was messy.  I did get some aerosol undercoating at AutoZone to spray under the new front fenders I got last year.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
I painted most of the chassis, suspension, and both sides of the floorpan with POR-15.  With a brush.  Yes it was messy.  I did get some aerosol undercoating at AutoZone to spray under the new front fenders I got last year.
how long will the POR last? do you need to do it often? for now i can spot treat the areas that have started to show rust. Im wondering if i should just wire-wheel those areas and then spray paint. would be nice to be able to be able to just coat the underside, but im not sure what to go with; the opinions that say it's the greatest thing for rust treatment or the opinions that say it will trap moisture when it cracks and allow more rust.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
how long will the POR last? do you need to do it often? for now i can spot treat the areas that have started to show rust. Im wondering if i should just wire-wheel those areas and then spray paint. would be nice to be able to be able to just coat the underside, but im not sure what to go with; the opinions that say it's the greatest thing for rust treatment or the opinions that say it will trap moisture when it cracks and allow more rust.

por will convert the rust and seal the metal under so it won't rust anymore. The thing is that you still have to remove the thick pieces of rust if you want it to las as like you said it would allow moisture under it if they become loose in time.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
por will convert the rust and seal the metal under so it won't rust anymore. The thing is that you still have to remove the thick pieces of rust if you want it to las as like you said it would allow moisture under it if they become loose in time.
so to do it right (with POR) would be to wire-wheel the rust spots and treat them with POR, then do you repaint?  What about those rubberized spray on undercoatings like the ONXY..any opinions on those?

JohnnyO

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »

Dunno how long it will last, this is the first time I've tried it.  I just used a wire brush and a scraper to get the loose paint and major rust off.  Winter is 75% over though and it seems to have held up fine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:54:27 PM by JohnnyO »

blacknblue

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
X2 on the POR-15.  I did my frame and axles with a sprayer.  It takes alot of prep work but in the end it is worth it.  Do not get it on your skin.  You would still need to inspect it once a year and spot treat any problem areas.  Also look into fluidfilm,  I spray my undercarriage with that before winter,  it repels moisture.