Author Topic: Cowling Intake Revisited  (Read 796 times)

chitchc2

Cowling Intake Revisited
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
I was thinking about a custom cowling intake setup while working on my project yesterday and decided to do the search online this morning. The obvious upside is cool fresh air like a snorkel and relatively easy access.

I've noted several legitimate bullet points of concern from the various threads.

1) increased water crossing depth but not as good as a deep as a snorkel
2) initial splash over the hood on entry
3) drain system blockage could lead to cowling area flooding even in something as simple as heavy rain

My thoughts on these points were:

1) definely a matter of need/preference for the user here
2) legitimate concern but could it be mitigated with the rear facing hood scoop? I already have one to keep rain and debrie out of the cowling anyway
3) could require some supervision but the rear facing scoop would help it seems

Has anyone on our forum actually tried the modification and put in some run time so they can share their experience?

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
Re: Cowling Intake Revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:08:53 AM »
3) It would drain through the vents before reaching the intake filter.

DodgeMudder

Re: Cowling Intake Revisited
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »
I haven't done this mod yet, but I plan to this spring as I need to get rid of my stock air box to get front shocks back on my YJ.  Here is my answers to your questions, as I see them and plan on doing.

1) If you wheel were you need a full blown snorkle get one, most people don't
2) This is a concern if your hitting deep water, but if you drop in slow it won't be an issue, and I plan to space the cowl vent up a 1/2 inch to make sure this isn't an issue.  Also plan to add one of the vent covers they sell that works like a mini ram air effect.
3) I've heard of the cowl drian plugging, and read a long time ago that if you slit the flat section of the drian tube up the creased sides, it will prevent it from clogging, other option is to just check the drain hose once in a while and make sure it is open.

I'll let you know how it works when I get it done.