Author Topic: What's this hose for?  (Read 938 times)

Quite Happy

What's this hose for?
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
Been gone a while, busy with work and all.  So I'll update.  I got tired of running poorly, so I broke down and bought a rebuilt carb for the CJ.  Found it for $169 plus tax and shipping, plus a core charge of $75 which I'll get back now that I've sent the old carb back.  Before installing, I pulled every single vacuum hose and started from scratch, using the diagram under the hood.  I replaced all vacuum hoses and fittings with new, and routed them so they're not such an octopus.  Then I installed new spark plugs and the new carb.  After cranking for 3-4 seconds to fill the bowl with fuel, she kicked off and ran as smooth as a baby's behind.  Very nice.  Still underpowered, but smooth nonetheless.  Now for my problem.  I have a rubber hose running up from my front differential into the engine bay, that just sits there loose.  I can find no place that it plugs into.  The previous owner told me it was just a vent hose, but it doesn't make sense that it connects to nothing.  Does anybody know?  I'm pretty sure it's the stock front end, but can't swear to that.

Offline grumpygy

Re: What's this hose for?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »
Just a vent hose.  Hooks to nothing.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

YJWralph

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
Yup.  Also known as a breather...  Rear diff will have one as well...

Quite Happy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
Odd, very odd. :puzzled:

Offline brokenwrist21

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:36 AM »
should ha
'93 yj 4in rubicon express lift, 33" bfg mud terrains, yella terra roller rockers, 4.0l throttle body, rv cam, k&n air filter, yukon axles and gears, detroit locker, aluminum radiator, msd 8.5mm super conductor wires, full syn. fluids.

Offline brokenwrist21

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
ok try this again stupid computer, should have a one way cap on the end of it. lets air out but nothing in. from what i've seen on jeeps the vent hose is usually secured to the radiator or somewhere on the inner fender.
'93 yj 4in rubicon express lift, 33" bfg mud terrains, yella terra roller rockers, 4.0l throttle body, rv cam, k&n air filter, yukon axles and gears, detroit locker, aluminum radiator, msd 8.5mm super conductor wires, full syn. fluids.

Quite Happy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »
OK, that makes more sense.  There's a place to attach it to the fender, but no cap.  I suppose I can look for such a beast.  I would hate to have water get in there if I happen to go through a creek or something.  Thanks for the info.