Author Topic: Cold air intakes  (Read 1902 times)

Duck Dodgers

Cold air intakes
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
I have searched most every where here for a thread on the in's, out's, do's and don't on cold air intakes. I am going to do the 4.0 TB swap next week and I have a gut feeling the stock goodies that let the air flow won't cut it. Not to mention I am curious about the cold air intake realm. So, anyone have advice, experience on manufactures etc. ? Thanks

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Cold air intakes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
I'd say save your money for something else. I don't think the very small gain in power is worth the large expense of the various cold air kits.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
If you surf around there are numerous folks who pulled the re-stricter out  of the intake tube, I also removed the front air box tube that goes out the front through the radiator core support. I removed it to helped avoid hydro locking the engine, the internal restricter is smaller than the stock TB so I pulled it on the total theory that it would have to slow air flow. IT seems to help the engine pull at higher RPM.

At one point here was a guy who did a bunch of dyno runs and determined the widest power band was the stock air box with a K&N drop in.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline aparke4

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
I have the rugged ridge tube cai with a aem dry flow filter and i enjoy the woosh sound from filter. Other than that I did it to complement exhaust and other mods. I would think a better than stock panel replacement would work. My tj 2.5 air intake tubing now looking back was not very restrictive. Does it look better? Sure and the heat shield was nice but very marginal gain solo.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
The 2.5L and 4.0L use a "speed density" system that doesn't directly measure airflow increases.  A/F is based on MAP sensor reading, TPS, RPM for sure.  Mass air flow (MAF) is a lot easier to work with.  I'd probably buy the Airraid kit with the no-oil filter -- it's got intake tubing that tapers from 4-5" down to probably 2.5" near the throttlebody; it also yielded the best torque results (not by much, though) in that TJ intake shoot-out Jp magazine did a while back.

'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor