Author Topic: Guess who's back!/ Prop Valve  (Read 1214 times)

YJmechanic

Guess who's back!/ Prop Valve
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:25:41 AM »
hey guys im back.  sorry ive been gone for so long but life got away from me and i just havent had time for jeeps lately.  got layed off several times and had to struggle a little working multiple jobs to compensate my lost salary.  we made it through and im back to working diesel again for the state of md transportation department.

on to the jeep then,  perf 4banger lives and fired right up the other day after most of a year sitting.  battery had to be charged obviously but she fired up with a little help. had to replace the axle adapters on the 8.8 after a monster truck like move out of a hole and over a dead tree at Rausche Creek. took it out for a shake down run and right front brake locked up.  thought the line was the cause sinceit would stick and the caliper would release upon bleeder open.  thought this was odd so took the hardline loose and got flow.  then took harline off prop valve and got flow.  took mc off prop and almost now return flow at all.  strange for a prop valve to randomly after sitting but ill be going for one from the yard this morning and see how it goes.

curious if anyone else has had a prop valve get stuck on them as ive been a mechanic for over ten years and have rarely replaced any.

YJmechanic

Re: Guess who's back!/ Prop Valve
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:28:59 AM »
for anybody that doesnt know me and new members,  i am a former jeep certified tech and am one of the only people ive seen ever fully build the jeep 2.5 internally.  haha still dont know that was ever the best desicion or not but it does work well and im happy to answer questions and try to help with anyone else's builds.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
Welcome back   :bow:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »
Welcome back sir.
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

YJmechanic

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
haha glad to be back

as far as the prop valve goes,  i switched it out to a low mileage xj valve and although flow did increase i still had a flow back restriction.  after quite a bit of messing around and running the typical brake hydraulic diag procedures over and over i was ready to tear my head off and turn in my wrenches.  well it doesnt happen frequently but when you cant figure something out you have to question brand new parts and after going through it ten times i finally figured out that the brand new caliper i had just installed had a very small restriction in the piston square seal.  it was so small that it just slightly held the caliper( like enough you get spin it by hand) but none the less enough to slightly drag the brakes.  i never found it in the diag cause i went around the brand new part and the restriction was so small that even slight pressure on the piston to check for a restriction would release it.

well another big waste of time thanks to the local part house but at least the old yj is up and ran it around all day today in the nice weather and feels good to pilot the old good again