Author Topic: Spark plug gapping  (Read 3635 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Spark plug gapping
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
I knew that they were slightly less for # but after the install it felt better. I liked the noise it made and it just all around ran better. Then I seafoamed the crap out of the system which pry did nothing but cost me $8.00 but I felt better about it!! Pry no power gains if minimal at best , like you said.

With the fuel pressure, for a guy who doesn't have a machine shop, what would be a good option (For fuel pressure regulators) for that? I thought I read that there were a few you could swap in from other vehicles so as to not spend hundreds of dollars but I am not sure. Then again with my Jeep I am in a location with really no serious trail (IOWA) and no serious crawlin so power output is not a serious thing on my mind but is nice. I also use my jeep as a daily driver so the route I have been going for is to increase fuel efficiency as well as HP, compared to just HP and torque. Right now where I live, I could race any 2.5L Jeep and I know I could win! Which the last sentence really does go against what I am aiming for.  :nono:

Certain people with pull actually got Sharp to make them for them for much less than the Hesco runs...   :whistle:   :wall:   :nod:
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
if you have a spare FPR you could try to slightly compress it in a vice to increase thre pressure using 2 of 12 point sockets, one to fit right under the outer diameter where the clamp goes but on the rail side, the other one around the vac fitting. I have not tried it on the Jeep FPR but i did it with some success on BMW ones (on some 90s models) - takes a lot of press and try in small increments and it happened also to bend it out of shape too, so it's not a sure thing but it can be done - basically press a little, install and check pressure, do it again until you get to the desired psi. most challenging part is the small socket around the fitting, it's hard to keep straight since is small diameter, better to have something with a wider base so it keeps it aligned with the larger socket.

otherwise Hesco is the best option, other compatible FPRs i saw or were listed here in a post were too far off the stock pressure.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
Something I have not seen mentioned so I will,,,

Never go by the factory rating on coil voltage, many use a full 16.5 volts
(Alternator level) off a heavy DC power supply to rate their coils.

Also spark-plugs have different resistance levels. So you have to
match plug to wire to get the total resistance you want in the circuit.
Bosch are higher, NGK lower in general at a given heat range.

Gap affects the rise time of the coil, bigger the gap the longer the coil
saturates because the resistance across the gap is huge until the mixture
density and the spark energy reach the point an arc can occur. Higher
pressure means higher voltage to bridge the gap.

In "the old days" we used a engine oscilloscope to see the spark
discharge pattern during engine ignition. with it we could match gap,
plug, wire,coil, distributor for best ignition. Not many mechanics use
real scopes any-more...

Just some thoughts...
Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 04:31:24 AM »
So out of curiosity, do the live wire plug wires come with the ignition coil wire? I am looking around and finding that a lot of the different types out there only come with the wire that goes to the spark plugs to distributor which kind of defeats the purpose. I will pry give them a call later and see but figured I would ask and see if someone else knew.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 07:32:29 AM »
So out of curiosity, do the live wire plug wires come with the ignition coil wire? I am looking around and finding that a lot of the different types out there only come with the wire that goes to the spark plugs to distributor which kind of defeats the purpose. I will pry give them a call later and see but figured I would ask and see if someone else knew.

Yes, it comes with all 5 wires...  Plus the dielectric grease (sp?).  You could also get the kit that includes the distributor cap and rotor, as well as billett aluminunm wire holders.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 08:23:15 AM »
I think I will get the wires and the cap and rotor even though I just changed out the cap and rotor a a year ago. 10mm sure beats the MSD 8.5mm. Everything I read about them and research just seems to make them more appealing!

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 08:26:55 AM »
http://www.performancedistributors.com/faqs.htm

They say the screamin demon is 50,000volts!!!

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
http://www.performancedistributors.com/faqs.htm

They say the screamin demon is 50,000volts!!!

That should light your fire!  :truck:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod: