Author Topic: a few questions Ford 8.8 Rear axle swap  (Read 2387 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
a few questions Ford 8.8 Rear axle swap
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »
I'm getting ready to regear the jeep (98 TJ) and i want to get rid of the d35. I checked out east coast gear supply and looks like I can get one built up and geared for around 1500 bucks. I have 2 questions to ask before I buy this setup.

1. I was talking to a guy from CT Axle who is getting a quote ready for me for the swap and regear and while doing that he mentioned he recently had trouble doing an 8.8 swap. He apparently couldnt get it all to line up right and was about ready to give up when he dropped the control arms and it all swung in. He informed me the rear control arms would need to be lengthened (or shortened cant remember) by 4 (?) inches? Is this true?

2. East Coast Gear Supply allows you to fit a locker in the rear, prices start at 300 for a lockright all the way to 800 and change for an ARB set up. I am already going to purchase an e-locker for the front axle. I would only like a selectable type locker for the rear IF i was ever going to lock it. Right now, i don't really want to spend another 600 or so for that. They do allow you to chose a factory positraction for 150 bucks. I would like to do that instead of the locker. Does anyone see a problem with that? WOuld that be a good compromise for not having a locked rear? WOuld this affect the drivability of the jeep in 2wd, or 4wd in the snow while on the road?

Thanks!
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: a few questions Ford 8.8 Rear axle swap
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
i'm assuming it is a limited slip, otherwise disregard the post
imo it would help in the snow if you don't engage 4wd (while not in 4wd i mean, as in you'd get better traction if the rear is the only axle that's active). If you're on rocks it won't help much, extreme situations in a climb with 1 wheel off ground will not help or would be minimal at best - just my opinion though.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
i'm assuming it is a limited slip, otherwise disregard the post
imo it would help in the snow if you don't engage 4wd (while not in 4wd i mean, as in you'd get better traction if the rear is the only axle that's active). If you're on rocks it won't help much, extreme situations in a climb with 1 wheel off ground will not help or would be minimal at best - just my opinion though.
My jeep is horrible in 2wd in the snow, the front just plows left to right/any which way. Once in 4wd it is excellent, regardless of the depth of the snow. So I would need a system that would be good to use in 4wd. I'm basically trying to figure if positraction or limited slip would be better off road then just an open rear. Also, posi and limited slip are the same, correct? Posi is just a type of limited slip? Im not versed on this at all, so forgive the rookie questions.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Csechols

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
I swapped in a 8.8 in my yj .. don't get one with the limited slip because it wont help you if you do rock crawling and they only way to put a locker in a 8.8 with the limited slip is to buy a full case locker.. their is more locker options if you get an open carrier.. I threw a lockright in mine and I do heavy 4 wheeling and it's my DD.  I've never had a problem with it.. Idk much about swapping it into a tj ... also make sure its the 95 or newer 8.8 with disk brakes and matching gear ratio as your front axle..

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
there are different kinds of LSD, in my understanding an LSD is a clutch type limited slip diff, however from what i understand it is used for other types of non-open diffs as well (although to me would make less sense). Posi is also used to refer to an LSD but also to an auto-locking type diff, apparently was used by GM initially and then the name was adopted as a general term, it all depends of what kind of diff really is.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
My jeep is horrible in 2wd in the snow, the front just plows left to right/any which way. Once in 4wd it is excellent, regardless of the depth of the snow. So I would need a system that would be good to use in 4wd.

just to clarify, what i meant was that you'll see much more of a difference when in 2wd, it won't hurt the 4wd and probably will help but it won't be as significant as in 2wd (it is unlikely that you'd get stuck in the snow on flat ground in 4wd but very likely in 2wd, the limited slip would help in that case).

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »

I don't think the shortening of the control arms is true.  The axles are about the same, the only difference structurally is that the 8.8 tubes are a little bigger in diameter.  Make sure you get the 8.8 welded 360 degrees around where the tubes insert into the diff center housing.  I have firsthand seen spun tubes on these axles.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

AGUHR

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
I just put an 8.8 in the back of my YJ with limited slip. If the LSD is set up right it should work just like a locker. Mine does, and on the street it is just fine. Locks up when climbing up rocks, cliffs what have you.  I like it. I get both wheels to hook up just fine. 

They are right about the carrier, but I personally would not do a lunch box or spool in the rear if its a DD, only because you will wear the tires a little more than with an open diff. With that said a friend of mine has an aussie locker in the rear of his D44 and he does cherp around corners, but his KM2 have held up just fine. So who knows.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
friend of mine has an aussie locker in the rear of his D44 and he does cherp around corners, but his KM2 have held up just fine. So who knows.
why would it engage while he's on the street? Thought those Aussie lockers only engage when in 4wd.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
why would it engage while he's on the street? Thought those Aussie lockers only engage when in 4wd.
nevermind, i take it they engage whether or not you are in 4wd, hence the "automatic" locker. Does the drivability get affected much with an auto locker in the rear end?

Csechols

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
The automatic lockers ( lockright, Aussie, extra.. ) will make driving around town different .. you don't want to shift gears while making a turn because the locker will unload and make a loud bang. Another thing that I have noticed is when I'm shifting gears it will jerk the Jeep left or right because of the added slop in the driveline... I use mine as my DD and I honestly don't mind the locker at all... you just have to get used to making turnes and stuff different. I really never hear Amy tire chirp when turning unless I'm flooring it... locker works awesome off-road.. its great for the price.. eventually when I can afford it I will get an arb.

Csechols

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
Also.. the automatic locker is always engaged in the rear I'd lower is being applied. If your coasting and make a turn the locker will ratchet so that one wheel can spin faster than the other.. if your turning and you let off the gas pedal during a turn and then immediately hit it again ..most times the locker while bang really loud. .

AGUHR

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 06:53:47 AM »
You described it perfectly. Thats exactly how my friends reacts.  I drove his jeep and coasting around corners I didnt even notice any difference. for the price its nice. I have one in the front and love it. But my LSD in my 8.8 reacts about the same honestly.The only down side I see with a LSD is that I would need to buy a carrier if I were to put a lunch box locker in the rear.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 07:25:55 AM »
I have powertrax lunchbox lockers front and rear on my yj and have never experienced it pulling me left or right unless im in 4wd and have the central axel disconect disconected(passenger tire not powered). Otherwise the cornering behavior is as discribed above.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Ok, i'd like to recap:
LSD or posi would help SOME offroad..that is if I know how to use it. I think if the tire would come off the ground i could use the brakes to force it to send power back to the tire still on the ground. Requires me to drive with 2 feet so to speak.

OR I can put in an auto locker which many of you seem to think is a better deal than posi. So if i do put in an auto, what would be a decent choice with a fair price tag on it that would behave well while on the street? Street driving in the snow would be pretty important to me.