Author Topic: Anyone installed Yella Terra 1.7 Roller Rockers?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline kashola

Anyone installed Yella Terra 1.7 Roller Rockers?
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
Has anyone installed these before?  It looks to me like there should be some sort of spacer with them that bolts on beneath the rockers.  Of course, the guy I bought them from (CL) didn't give me the spacers.  Contacted YT and apparently there's none in country.  Have to order from down under and take 5-6 weeks to get here.  Are they a t-shaped spacer or cylindrical?  I've found some t-spacers in my stash of bs that may work, but are aluminum.  Don't know if they would hold up or not.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Anyone installed Yella Terra 1.7 Roller Rockers?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
Has anyone installed these before?  It looks to me like there should be some sort of spacer with them that bolts on beneath the rockers.  Of course, the guy I bought them from (CL) didn't give me the spacers.  Contacted YT and apparently there's none in country.  Have to order from down under and take 5-6 weeks to get here.  Are they a t-shaped spacer or cylindrical?  I've found some t-spacers in my stash of bs that may work, but are aluminum.  Don't know if they would hold up or not.  Any help would be appreciated.

you could make the spacers, can you post some pics of the underside of your rockers? stainless would work ok to make the spacers, of course heat treated steel would be best but since there would be no movement i think stainless could work just fine. You might be able to use them without spacers if you convert from bolt to stud but until i see a pic i can't tell for sure (they would have to be paired on a solid shaft or have a centering pin between them).

you'll get a lot of improvement from the 1.7, the stockers are 1.6 but real life scenario is more between 1.5 and 1.55 as they deform under load.

EDIT: apparently the YT rr are joined by a solid shaft in pairs so you could use studs as long as the fulcrums have a flat side (which would have to go on top) - it might help with setting the preload easier, otherwise you need to get proper lenght pushrods or shim the spacer if needed (although the spacers that come with them should be the proper size to achive the required preload). Harland Sharp has adjustable ones so maybe have a look at those for inspiration.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:05:22 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline kashola

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
Finally got a few pics.  The first is of the bottom of the rockers as you asked.  The second is of the rockers, the original t-spacer I thought I could use, and a heavy wall spacer I found at the local hardware store.  I think I can grind down the OD a little at the top to get it to fit onto the rocker shaft without hitting the rockers themselves.  It is the correct height at .500". 

Offline kashola

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
If anyone has pics of the spacers that actually go with it, I would really appreciate seeing them.  I can't find any pics on the net.  From what I've found, it looks like the spacers are p/n YT6227 if that helps.  Thanks.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
why can't you use the original spacer?
make sure to check the preload when you install them.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »
height on that p/n is listed as 12.06mm, if you make them make sure they're the same height (if these are the actual ones you need)

EDIT: http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/30753.pdf
there's a picture with the pedestal in that document, also explains how to check the preload and possibly adjusting it if not suitable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:16:47 AM by sharpxmen »

Offline kashola

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
Nice!  I had seen some instructions for install before, but hadn't seen that pic.  The specs I saw listed height @ 12.6mm (.495").  So I figured if the spacers I got were .500", I could grind them down a little if need be.  Thanks alot!   :thumb:

why can't you use the original spacer?

I don't have the original spacers that come with the kit.  The t-spacer in the pic above is aluminum and I don't trust it not to fail.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:50:15 AM »
Nice!  I had seen some instructions for install before, but hadn't seen that pic.  The specs I saw listed height  (at)  12.6mm (.495").  So I figured if the spacers I got were .500", I could grind them down a little if need be.  Thanks alot!   :thumb:

I don't have the original spacers that come with the kit.  The t-spacer in the pic above is aluminum and I don't trust it not to fail.

you're right, don't use aluminum

this is from their website

Part No. YT 6227
Type Spacer
Product name Pedestals and Spacers
Category Rocker Spares
Application(s)
Comments Spacer plain tubular 5/16"ID 12.06mm tall

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »
I installed their 1.6 rockers, but I really dont remember the spacers...  I installed a good 3 or 4 years ago, and did not take pics.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 01:57:18 AM »
Wasn't it these Yellow Terra rockers or another make where you could buy a set for a V8 and split them up for use on 2  4bangers?

I'd be down to buy half a set if anybody here is down to pick up the other half a set...
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
Wasn't it these Yellow Terra rockers or another make where you could buy a set for a V8 and split them up for use on 2  4bangers?

I'd be down to buy half a set if anybody here is down to pick up the other half a set...

I bought mine for an I4 from QT...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost