Author Topic: Pinging problem  (Read 2260 times)

Offline 95 Lowbuck

Re: Pinging problem
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I will ask them.

I would be very interested in the details behind it, like what makes a plug cooler and how it helps. Isn't it the combustocombustion the biggest cause of the heat? Like I said, I am a bit illiterate when it comes to spark.

Pinging, or preignition, is caused by the air fuel mixture igniting before it is supposed to.
It is usually caused by a heat source within the combustion chamber, like carbon buildup, too hot of plug,
or compression too high for the type of gas used.
Can also happen if the spark is way too advanced.
A colder plug has a shorter electrode length, which makes it run cooler.
This will help if you have minimal pinging problems.
In my case, it just showed up out of the blue one morning.
I had done nothing to the engine, and was half way through a full tank of gas.
I am running a stock engine, stock plugs, doubt there was much carbon by reading my plugs.
Later I even tried the best gas I could get, but no difference.
Had to look for a problem.

1995 YJ RioGrand, 2.5, AX5, 231 T.C., A.A. SYE,
D30, XJ D44, Truetracs F+R, CV D.S. F+R, 4.88's
R.E. 4" STD., 33-10.50 BFG KO2's on stock rims.

Offline bootguy

• TANSTAAFL There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
I run Ethanol free in my 94.  Quite a bit better than even premium.  I use it in anything older than 2000.  It does run a little hotter but I get better gas mileage and it seems to run cleaner.

http://pure-gas.org/
1994 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, automatic, 2.5" lift, 4:88 gearing, 33" tires, 2.5" exhaust from manifold back, air restrictor removed.

Offline RickBrins

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »
Thank you for the info 95 Lowbuck, some of that I knew, but some I didn't it was all very helpful!
95 YJ, K&N airfilter in an opened up stock box, 4.0 THTL body, spacer, Headers, Free flow cat and exhaust, 20 gal tank mod, 30 x 9.5 BFG's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
colder plugs remove the heat from the electrodes faster, as an example all else being the same a plug with no washer under the seat will run cooler than a plug with a washer as it transfers heat into the head better.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end