Author Topic: My Jeep seems to be surging when I accelerate.  (Read 1871 times)

01amberfirewv

My Jeep seems to be surging when I accelerate.
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:44:33 AM »
It seems like this started after the D35 breakage but I am not sure if that is related.  I can't pinpoint exactly when this happens but sometimes when accelerating my Jeep kind of lunges on and off as if I were modulating the pedal or in the wrong gear.  I notice it the most when I am in third but it seems to happen @ lower rpms and if I down shift and the the rpms above 3k it stops.  It is not violent and not accompanied by any noise.  The only left over damage I had from the axel snap age were some of the inner teeth on the small ring gear.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:02:13 PM »
This seems o be realy noticible in 3rd around 1500-2500 rpm's.  Anyone have any ideas?

might4banger

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »
FWTW - I have had some other cars (not my Jeep) buck/surge like you are describing they had bad plug wires... might check 'em out.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »
Thanks all do that

Liljeepz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:24:58 AM »
My jeep was doing it, it got worce and worce. I only have 40k on it to... I changed the pluges about 2 weeks ago and for the most part it stoped, I still have troble from idle to 2k rpm, but its 90% better, Im still trying to find the cause for the very low rpm spadering. I didnt see any spark jumping from the wires (when i was in a dark room with no lights on).
but it doset meen there not broke... sence your into the wires just change the pluges, $4 and its a cheep fix/test.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »
I cahnged the plugs and it is still doing it.  Someone said it could be the fuel filter or clutch bearing (see below) but I don't know how to check those.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491512

Is it possible that it is due to the intake not filtering enough dust?

Liljeepz

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »
a few weeks later my jeep got worse, much much worse. So I changed the plugs AND wires this time and the problem is gone. 8k miles on the new ones and still no problems.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »
I am still having this problem.  I know I need to change my break fluid and as I was looking around I noticed the hydraulic fluid reservoir had some dark break fluid in it also.  Could this have anything to do with my problem and if so how do you drain it so I can change the fluid?

Tall Boy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 10:06:05 PM »
There is a machine that sucks the old fluid out. It is expensive but mechanics shops have them. i forgot what it is called. Try a turkey baster.