Author Topic: What tools are needed for an SYE install  (Read 1108 times)

01amberfirewv

What tools are needed for an SYE install
« on: July 28, 2006, 07:49:05 PM »
I have an SYE and Woods shaft that has been setting in my basement for a few months now. I was hoping for some help but its hard to find a time when everyone can help out. What type of tools do I need to install it and are there any tricks to make the job easier.

Also a club memeber who is a local Jeep technician said that when a U joint starts going bad they tighten up. My Jeep has been surging and I think that may be the cause. Should I go ahead and replace the U joints when I do the SYE?

Shrek

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:31:16 PM »
Other than a special set of snap ring plyers, you can do the job with standard tools. I did mine in the Jeep. They recommend removing the TC but I think it was easier to leave the it bolted in. I don't think the whole job took 2 hrs. I've got a hoist in the garage which makes it a little easier. As far as the u-Joints go, the Woods shaft will have new ones in it. No way joints are causing surging. IMHO

j-freak153

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:02:37 PM »
hey shrek, when you did your SYE, was it the HD one that totally replaced the slip yoke, or was it the 'hack and tap' one? im going to order mine up here in a little bit and do it my self too...