Author Topic: Banks 2.5 Header Cracks - just thinking...  (Read 2074 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Banks 2.5 Header Cracks - just thinking...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
The thinking, correct me if I am wrong, is that the hotter the engine the hotter the exhaust temps...

between 60F and 200F yes, that is correct - 195 to 210 I don't think there's much difference in EGT. At low temp the engine will be in a rich mode until it reaches the operating temp. The EGT is affected more by AFR and ignition timing, but i could be wrong - maybe someone that actually measured the EGT with different thermostats can clarify. Now, if your temp goes from 195 to 210 because you are "hammering" the throttle then yes, you'll have a higher EGT but that would be more the cause of the higher coolant temperature and not the effect - not sure if i explained it properly, what i mean is that the EGT will rise when the engine is under load but so the coolant temp and not because of the thermostat that would open a bit later (or at least that's how i see things, can't see the gas temperatures being lowered by the coolant, there's simply not enough thermal exchange and the time spent in the cylinder head is so little that won't have time to lose significant heat).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

97 TJ - I dont wave

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »
Again, SharpxMan is correct.
These are just layups for the Xman....
Folks, one solution..... 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE..... Done.

Clem

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »
Gotcha. Yes, you made sense... Thanks for the input.

TN00TJ

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »
between 60F and 200F yes, that is correct - 195 to 210 I don't think there's much difference in EGT. At low temp the engine will be in a rich mode until it reaches the operating temp. The EGT is affected more by AFR and ignition timing, but i could be wrong - maybe someone that actually measured the EGT with different thermostats can clarify. Now, if your temp goes from 195 to 210 because you are "hammering" the throttle then yes, you'll have a higher EGT but that would be more the cause of the higher coolant temperature and not the effect - not sure if i explained it properly, what i mean is that the EGT will rise when the engine is under load but so the coolant temp and not because of the thermostat that would open a bit later (or at least that's how i see things, can't see the gas temperatures being lowered by the coolant, there's simply not enough thermal exchange and the time spent in the cylinder head is so little that won't have time to lose significant heat).

Right again...

EGT is principally a function of AFR or, in airplane parlance, MIXTURE. (key word here is exhaust, gas temp)

The more air, the hotter the mixture.  Cool it down with raw fuel, but that lowers fuel ECONOMY.

So far, nobody (that I know of) has come up with a way to optomize these Jeep powerplants from a temp/power perspective.

On another note, as promised, I spoke with Jet-Hot yesterday after having sent them 97TJ's pictures. Their first question was whether he's been fording streams with hot exhaust but I doubted that. ('97, wanna comment?)

Anyway, I've decided to send my header in for their 'Extreme Sterling' coating which is supposed to make the header transfer more of the heat out the tailpipe as opposed to radiating it into the motor compartment and, they say, it will help to ameliorate the deleterious effects of high heat.

With their experience in the aerospace industry, I'm inclined to believe 'em but we'll only know for certain after I've had it in service for awhile.

http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html

I know Banks won't honor their warranty with the coating but what have I got WITH their warranty? Just another crack-prone manifold that's no kind of acceptable solution to efficiently getting rid of combustion waste.

Thanks again, for all the input - lot of good thinking and head-scratching out there.