Author Topic: rough idle and some questions PLEASE HELP  (Read 1071 times)

braves3331

rough idle and some questions PLEASE HELP
« on: September 05, 2005, 11:09:51 PM »
hi i've got a  1990 jeep wrangler w/ the 2.5...anyhow, it's been idling rough lately. i was wondering, would a muffler on its last leg cause the rough idle? also, the injector in the throttle body is making a wierd noise...its like a fart noise is the best way i can describe it really lol...i took it out, and there was a rubber small rubber piece that looked like it was ripped off something, about the size of a pencil tip, melted on the side of the injector housing (it had a reddish tint and looked like silicone). i checked the o-ring, and it didnt come from it because it was in good shape, and i couldn't see where else it would've come from. so i soaked the throttle body and the injector in throttle body/carburetor cleaner overnight thinkin it would help but the noise got a little louder. however, when driving the engine ran smoother, except at stops, it acted as if it wanted to stall, and it still idle's rough. could this mean i have a faulty injector? i'm pretty sure i'll replace it, once i can afford it (them things are expensive), unless someone else out there has any other suggestions on what i could do :). i've also tried adjusting the idle, but the noise gets faster and it still runs a little rough.

one more thing, when the car shuts off, almost instantly after, there is like 3 or 4 clicks that comes from a sensor i believe that has a bolt coming out on the other end(which controls the idle i believe). when this thing clicks, it forces the bolt in to the throttle for every click and you can feel the gas pedal go down maybe an 1/8 of an inch each time. i was not sure if this is what is suppose to happen or not. any idea what this might be? after i cleaned the throttle body and injector, this clicking thing happens maybe every 3 or 4 times now.  

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. thank you in advance

electrodrive

rough idle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 09:08:20 PM »
I have the same motor in a cherokee and it makes the same noises when the engine is shut off. I have never thought of this as anything but normal....so try not to reach the worst conclusion for a small problem. I would look at basic tune-up areas first and then on to sensors and vacuum leaks.