Author Topic: Turbochargers  (Read 94306 times)

whyjay94

Re: Turbochargers
« Reply #510 on: April 29, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
if that breather solved the problem then the baffles in your valve cover are plugged badly, so you might want to clean those out as this way you'll get gasses in there
Got H2O/meth injector installed, cooler plugs, changed out tstat to 180 dgr. Took to tuner/dyno guy, spent 4 hrs with him on dyno ( only charged me $200), got everything pretty close. tweaked it more today and I'm happy with it. running approx. 30% meth/water. got approx. 120 HP @ wheel.  Funny thing is I'm running my stock MAP still connected, could'nt get it to stay running good with it unhooked. I tryed it several times, had to disconnect ground and clear ECM.  Got rid of detenation, think that eliminated my blow by, cause its not doing it anymore. got it to 75mph without much trouble and had some left. its pretty sweet.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #511 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
Got H2O/meth injector installed, cooler plugs, changed out tstat to 180 dgr. Took to tuner/dyno guy, spent 4 hrs with him on dyno ( only charged me $200), got everything pretty close. tweaked it more today and I'm happy with it. running approx. 30% meth/water. got approx. 120 HP  (at)  wheel.  Funny thing is I'm running my stock MAP still connected, could'nt get it to stay running good with it unhooked. I tryed it several times, had to disconnect ground and clear ECM.  Got rid of detenation, think that eliminated my blow by, cause its not doing it anymore. got it to 75mph without much trouble and had some left. its pretty sweet.

so the dyno guy tuned it with the stock map connected? i'm confused, why do that for, you'll need to do it all over again.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

whyjay94

« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:25 AM »
I had it unplugged for dyno/tuning. after I left it began having problems starting.  I plugged stock map sensor back in with PSC1 piggybacked to it and it does good? I have to turn key on and let check engine light go out and then engage starter. I don't really know why, I read somewhere on a thread where it maybe has to check barometric pressure before start up to set up ECM each time? Its probably 95% and I am enjoying driving it. will be tweaking it as I go from here. 

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »
I had it unplugged for dyno/tuning. after I left it began having problems starting.  I plugged stock map sensor back in with PSC1 piggybacked to it and it does good? I have to turn key on and let check engine light go out and then engage starter. I don't really know why, I read somewhere on a thread where it maybe has to check barometric pressure before start up to set up ECM each time? Its probably 95% and I am enjoying driving it. will be tweaking it as I go from here. 

you have to set the 500rpm cells to match the psc output you would put out with the stock map sensor, see pages 5 to 7 in this doc http://www.splitsec.com/technotes/Fuel-Engine_in_Boost_using_2-bar_Map_Sensor.pdf
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

whyjay94

« Reply #514 on: May 01, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
Thanx, Sharp. When your this close to getting everything running good , its hard to remember all the little details about tuning.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #515 on: May 01, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
Thanx, Sharp. When your this close to getting everything running good , its hard to remember all the little details about tuning.

no problem, i'm a little worried of you running the stock map in line with the PSC, you'd have a voltage differential between the stock map output towards the PSC map output as the first will always have a higher voltage being 0-1 bar absolute compared to whatever you set your PSC (if i gathered correctly would be something like 1.35 bar or so for 6psi of boost). Not sure if that can "fry" the PSC, but just to be careful (it's not meant to have a voltage input on that line).

rodgar

« Reply #516 on: May 17, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
whyjay94 if you dont mind me asking what turbo is that your running?

whyjay94

« Reply #517 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
its a Garrett T3 (TB036 out of a late late 80's Volvo 2.3 )

Rhettq

« Reply #518 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »
Pretty new to all this, so if i ask a stupid ??? please be forgiving.  First, has anyone used a megasquirt EMC?  If so can i get your basic programing?  Second has anyone modified the Cyl Head such that the static CR dropped from 9.2 to about 8.2?  How did it work out?  Thanks

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #519 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
Second has anyone modified the Cyl Head such that the static CR dropped from 9.2 to about 8.2?  How did it work out?  Thanks
i started working on this, but you can't do much on the cyl head side and would have to be on the piston side like the stroker guys do. I did a test on my mill/drill machine with an old piston and came out ok, however that brings up a different issue, since you're making the piston top thinner you'll need better cooling to the pistons so cooling oil nozzles would probably be a good idea. that's as far as i got. the test piston increased chamber gave something like 8.5CR if i remember correctly, all this was just a machining test, i didn't actually built a motor using it.

from the head you'd have to remove way too much material to get it where you want for 8.2CR, you could sink the valves a little but it won't be enough and probably result in loss of performance unless you increase the valve lift by how much you're sinking the valves.

If you search for stroker modded pistons there's tons of info on which you can get and even probably be able to buy a custom kit without the issue of having a piston top that's not as thick as the stock one.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2013, 09:05:37 PM »
One possibility,, have a set of rods bored offset .020 (Or whatever the CR calculator gives you...) 
So the piston drops in the bore.. Add deep dished pistons. Should be able to get a good drop.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
One possibility,, have a set of rods bored offset .020 (Or whatever the CR calculator gives you...) 
So the piston drops in the bore.. Add deep dished pistons. Should be able to get a good drop.

Dave

if you do that you'll be reducing the quench and with that the chamber efficiency, best to use 2228c Silvolite pistons and dish them to 24cc, that would give you 8.2CR, or 25cc for +30 pistons for the same result. Apparently these are the only pistons you can safely do that as they have thick heads but i have no idea what that is (thickness i mean) - the stroker guys use the 2229 piston which is the corresponding p/n for the 6 cyl.

ECjeep

« Reply #522 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
Pretty new to all this, so if i ask a stupid ??? please be forgiving.  First, has anyone used a megasquirt EMC?  If so can i get your basic programing?  Second has anyone modified the Cyl Head such that the static CR dropped from 9.2 to about 8.2?  How did it work out?  Thanks

I was wondering when I was going to see mega squirt on here , petty amazing little computer but a hefty price compared to a Psc and a great deal more knowledge required

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #523 on: September 16, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »
HOLLY CRAP! I just read all 35 pages.

So, if a guy didn't care about running on gasoline. What would be the problem of running a turbo blowing though a CA225 propane mixer? Other then in stock form impco claims they only handle 5psi boost. I have read that they can be modified to handle 8psi in blow though. Also what about just drawing though one?  I understand why drawing though gasoline carburetors don't work well. Because of the poor atomization of liquid fuel, but propane will always stay in a gas state after the converter valve. Also draw though there would be no way in hell to cool the boost charge.

Dave

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #524 on: September 16, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »
Also has anyone thought of adding a head gasket spacer? I had to install one the other day on a 3.0l Mitsubishi v6 in a cat GP40 lift truck. My thoughts were instead of installing one to repair a bad head it could be just to lift one up? .020 plus some piston machining get close? I understand that one would need adjustable push rods also.

Dave

Occasionally, a technician may have to machine a cylinder head that's already been machined one or more times. This can cause such problems as mechanical interference of the valves and pistons, detonation or valve timing retardation in overhead-cam engines. The corrective method here is to add a spacer shim between the head gasket and the block to raise the head up to the original specification. Most shims are .020 inch thick, but other sizes may be available, depending on the block.