Author Topic: Electric fan sensor  (Read 903 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Electric fan sensor
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »
Will a 3/8" thread in probe work for an e-fan on my 02 TJ? I'm getting an electric fan and want to do it right. I'm not so sure about using the kind that slides into the radiator.

Here's what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELECTRIC-FAN-THERMOSTAT-THREAD-IN-PROBE-SWITCH-RELAY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ013QQitemZ230155993082
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

jcsanders79

Re: Electric fan sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »
I don't know if that will work or not, what i did was run the power to the fan from a source that is connected to the ignition and also added a switch so I could turn it off in I needed to. 

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »
What I did with mine when I installed my Taurus fan was to get a Dc Controll electric fan controller (http://www.dccontrol.com/).  This controller I installed to the high speed wire of the fan.  The controller has a wire to connect to the ignition (if it senses current in this wire, it allows the fan to run; otherwise, it will not turn on the fan regardless of the temperature reading). I connected this through a 3 postition switch, so the down position is AUTO, the center position is OFF (good for crossing rivers and such), and the top position, I connected to a relay (40A) to the low speed cable, so I can also override the controller and turn on (if the controller ever fails, I will not be left without a fan; I can also run it on low to quickly cool the engine if I need you).  The controller also has a wire that you can plug to the AC Compressor, so the fan turns on when the compressor is on (if you have it).

I have left the fan in auto since I instelled about 2 months ago, and I have had no issues with it.  What I like is that this controller actually varies the speed of the fan (the hotter the reading, the faster the fan will turn), and by doing so, you do not have the amps running up when you start the fan because the fan does not turn on directly to full speed but rather starts slow and gradually turns the speed up.  The other day I was jump starting another car, and even though I had the engine a 2K RPMs for about 10 minutes without moving (in a windless setting), the Jeep never went past 210* (when with the mechanical fan, it would do so all the time).  After a while, I decided to turn the override on, and forgot about it and left the Jeep running at idle, and when I got back to the Jeep, the temp was VERY low!

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:09 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that the radiator probe is one of those that you push in, but in my case, it will not come back out....
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:21:49 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that the radiator probe is one of those that you push in, but in my case, it will not come back out....

Thanks for the info. Seems like you have your e-fan working very well for you. Looking around the engine I was unable to find anywhere for the thread in sensor to work so I ordered a probe similar to yours. I also got a 2500 c.f.m. fan from eBay and I'm hoping it will do the job. If not it's off to the scrap yard to get a Taurus fan.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
Thanks for the info. Seems like you have your e-fan working very well for you. Looking around the engine I was unable to find anywhere for the thread in sensor to work so I ordered a probe similar to yours. I also got a 2500 c.f.m. fan from eBay and I'm hoping it will do the job. If not it's off to the scrap yard to get a Taurus fan.

You'r welcome.  Regarding the Ford fan, I have read (dont know if it's really true, though) that it pushes between 3,500 and 4,00 CFM (which makes it better than any aftermarket fan!).  Also, I mofified the shroud to fit my radiator, which is a plus...

Anyway, regarding the probe, I had the same doubts as you do, and I tried lightly pulling it out when I installed it...  That thing is stuck in there for good!

Felipe