Author Topic: Soon to be installed cruise control  (Read 3313 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Soon to be installed cruise control
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »
Well, guys, i was looking through amazon.com, and came across a $75 aftermarket cruise control: the Audiovox CSS100.  From what I have read, others have already installed it in YJ's, and altough not a trail tool, it will certainly make GETTING to the trail A LOT more confortable!

There is a picture of the product:

CCS100
Universal Vacuum Cruise Control w/ Dash Mounted Control Switch & Magnet Kit included

Features:
  • Provides for relaxed highway travel at preset speeds
  • Features safe, reliable performance that improves gas mileage and fuel economy
  • Avoid unintentional speeding and driving fatigue
  • Easy installation
  • VSS compatible, requires no additional accessories for vehicles manufactured from 1985-97
  • Dash mounted command switch
  • On/Off Switch
  • Set Speed-Locks in predetermined speed with a touch of a button
  • Coast-Reduce and/or reset cruise to lower speed
  • Resume- Braking disengages the cruise, pressing the 'resume' function accelerates vehicle to the previous set speed
  • Accel- Press and hold automatically accelerates the vehicle
  • Disengage - tap brake or depress clutch pedal, press 'off', or turn off engine Options

I am thinking abut getting a vacuum reservoir to make sure I have no issues with the vacuum servo (I have read online that this helps give the system some more reliability).  From what I have read online, people that have this system installed have used it for very long periods without any issues, and it works flawlessly.  Instation (again, according to the reviews I found online) is a bit engaged, but nothing to loose sleep over.  Anyway, I will try to do a write-up on the installation...  I'll keep you all posted.

It sure will be nice to be able to take my foot of the gas for my next long trip, though!

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Re: Soon to be installed cruise control
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:13:30 AM »
You are so lazy..... :stick:

:roflol:
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

jcsanders79

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
Cruise control on my Jeep could be dangerous ???

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
You are so lazy..... :stick:

Yes, and I am proud of it!!! :twofingers:

I am tired of getting foot cramps when driving around (Orlando is 4 hours away, and Fort Meyers is 3; after a while, I REALLY dont feel like pushing the pedal anymore!).

'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

flyingbrick

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
I am tired of getting foot cramps when driving around

Wuss I used to work for a parts company and i'd go 9 hour days in the city delivering parts, so about 6-7 hours in the car or truck, you want to talk about foot cramps, (alltho i got good at breaking with my left foot)
and i learned how fast a SMART car can actually go lol. there's not much in life that's more funny then passing tuner civics in a SMART car.

kenny kustom

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
I used a throttle cable from a snow blower. Hand throttle and cruise control all in one !

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »
Yeah, I do plan to do a hand throttle with a bike shifter, bike brake cable, and a little chain I got already...  But that's later on.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »
Well, it's in, and working like a charm!  Except, of course, for the fact that it stays on (not engaged; just the ON LED) even if I turn the Jeep off...  I GUESS that may be to the fact that I connected the ignition wire to a constant current wire, but I am not sure...   :brick:  :clap:  I'll correct that one of thee nights, as it will take me all of 5 minutes to do it.  I'll post some pictures later on.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Well, guys, i was looking through amazon.com, and came across a $75 aftermarket cruise control: the Audiovox CSS100.  From what I have read, others have already installed it in YJ's, and altough not a trail tool, it will certainly make GETTING to the trail A LOT more confortable!

CCS100
Universal Vacuum Cruise Control w/ Dash Mounted Control Switch & Magnet Kit included

[i know this is an old thread]
I was looking for one of these - turns out the CCS-100 is discontinued, found some on e-bay and they are all about $200, cheapest was on Amazon available from on 1 seller (MotoGroup) for $185 with free shipping. I did some research and aparently these were rebranded and made by Rostra - there is no information on Audiovox website, did some more digging and turns out Rostra has a new line that is stepper motor driven rather than vacuum (250-1223 or Audiovox equivalent 250-1316), and i found one for $179 + Shipping = $198, a little more than the current price of CCS-100 (nowhere near what you bought it for though) but i liked the idea of not having to worry about the vacuum reservoir and such. I hope i'll be as happy as you are with yours, holding speed on hwy for long trips is killing my right leg/foot so this should be a nice relief if all turns well.

Well, it's in, and working like a charm!  Except, of course, for the fact that it stays on (not engaged; just the ON LED) even if I turn the Jeep off...  I GUESS that may be to the fact that I connected the ignition wire to a constant current wire, but I am not sure...   :brick:  :clap:  I'll correct that one of thee nights, as it will take me all of 5 minutes to do it.  I'll post some pictures later on.

you never posted any pictures...  :rant:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:46:55 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
[i know this is an old thread]
I was looking for one of these - turns out the CCS-100 is discontinued, found some on e-bay and they are all about $200, cheapest was on Amazon available from on 1 seller (MotoGroup) for $185 with free shipping. I did some research and aparently these were rebranded and made by Rostra - there is no information on Audiovox website, did some more digging and turns out Rostra has a new line that is stepper motor driven rather than vacuum (250-1223 or Audiovox equivalent 250-1316), and i found one for $179 + Shipping = $198, a little more than the current price of CCS-100 (nowhere near what you bought it for though) but i liked the idea of not having to worry about the vacuum reservoir and such. I hope i'll be as happy as you are with yours, holding speed on hwy for long trips is killing my right leg/foot so this should be a nice relief if all turns well.

you never posted any pictures...  :rant:

I never did post pictures, but the first one failed.  I got me a second one (nowhere near as cheap as the first one) and that one also died on me after some use and abuse.  It seems that a common problem with this things is that the little actuators that let the air in and out to control the throttle die.  I am now considering these new ones you mentioned to replace mine, as it IS rather delightful when driving 600 miles to have cruise control (in the mean time, I am just using my hand throttle).

As for the pics, I think you can see it in the pics of my engine bay...  Le me see if I can scrounge one up.

You can BARELY see it here, but it is the black thing below the rad hose next to the AC compressor...

On this one you can see one of the 2 reservoirs I use for it, as well as the 3 cables that go the TB (accel, hand accel and CC):

Closer look at the 3 cables to the TB:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »
I never did post pictures, but the first one failed.  I got me a second one (nowhere near as cheap as the first one) and that one also died on me after some use and abuse.  It seems that a common problem with this things is that the little actuators that let the air in and out to control the throttle die.  I am now considering these new ones you mentioned to replace mine, as it IS rather delightful when driving 600 miles to have cruise control (in the mean time, I am just using my hand throttle).

that makes me feel better regarding the price and the choice (of not getting the vacuum one), thanks for sharing the pics.

One thing i noticed is that their instructions suck big time, I found wire labeling errors in both the ccs-100 and the 250-1223 (the online version), maybe the printed one is corrected

EDIT: in case you're looking, the cheapest i found it was at $180 from these guys http://www.audiovideo4me.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=250-1223 everywhere else i looked they are about $210

it is the same as the Audiovox 250-1316 which just for the brand i guess is $190 at the same store and about $200 on ebay
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:12:16 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
It looks like I can even use my old sensors and contros.  If thats the case, I am getting me one of these!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »
It looks like I can even use my old sensors and contros.  If thats the case, I am getting me one of these!

those are def the same, how come you didn't use the factory VSS?

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
Check Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPC-250-1775/

Think one of these kits could be adapted for use on a jeep.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
Check Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPC-250-1775/

Think one of these kits could be adapted for use on a jeep.

those are vehicle specific and not universal, they are the same thing though so you might get it to work but it's a shot in the dark, they are only guaranteed for the cars listed (which means you only have the throttle adapter for that vehicle, the VSS pickup only operates with the signal for that vehicle and the Pulses Per Mile are preset i believe) so really not sure if it's worth taking a gamble for the $25 difference (migh cost more in hardware to make the throttle work if it's not compatible with the kit).