Author Topic: 62mm TB install and grinding the intake opening  (Read 1853 times)

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
62mm TB install and grinding the intake opening
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »
Tools needed
10mm socket
Flathead screwdriver
T20 tamper proof torx
Total time about 2 hours give or take

Started by removing the throttle cable,hand throttle cable and the return spring. Also removed the air cleaner tube. I also disconnected the battery.

Next I unpluged the TPS and AIS motor. They are the 2 bigger plugs on the left side.

This is the 4.0 TB I took off. The dark line is the outside diameter of the gasket which is 62mm. Kinda gives you an idea of how much bigger the 62mm TB is.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline FourbangerYJ

Re: 62mm TB install and grinding the intake opening
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »

I marked the intake with a sharpie using a new gasket as a guide. I used the 10mm bolts to hold the gasket while I marked it.
I measured the stock intake at 55mm.

This is after I switched the AIS motor and the TPS to the 62mm TB. Gives you and idea of the bigger size.

I stuffed the intake opening with some rags then smeared on some grease hoping to keep the chips out of the intake.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline FourbangerYJ

Re: 62mm TB install and grinding the intake opening
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »

I used a Dremmel with a rotary rasp to remove the material from the intake. With a new cutter it goes pretty fast! I looked all over for a 2 inch drum sander to finish the grinding with. But none of the hardware stores in my area had any.

Here it is all ground out. I checked it with the new gasket.

The most time was taken getting all the chips out of the intake. Those chips get everywhere! If I had to do it again I would have used some blue painters tape and put it on the inside of the intake. In my haste I did not notice that there are 4 hole that are just under the TB. I would have taped them off. It took quite a few Q-tips to remove the chips from in there. The towels and grease did help keeping the chips out of the runners of the intake.

I put it all back together and fired it up. It started up and ran fine. After a few minutes the idle kicked down to normal RPS's.
I have not had a chance to drive it yet. The winds today are crazy strong. I will post back when I get a chance to drive it.

THANKS Bounty Hunter for the quick service on the TB and the advice. You too Jeffy!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:53:38 AM by FourbangerYJ »
Scott~