Author Topic: pacesetter header question  (Read 1762 times)

BarneyJeep

pacesetter header question
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:13:37 AM »
any of you guys running a pacesetter header on a tj? I REALLY dont like the cross pipe that comes with it. It runs down below the trans, instead of infront of the oil pan sump. Hangs lower then my skid. Holds my exhaust so low that the cat is hitting my skid, even with the 1" Tcase drop. I'm going to be putting an SYE in VERY soon, and need to get my skid up but the cross pipe is holding everything down. Is there a cross pipe i can buy the comes off the header and goes in front of the oil pan sump? Custom? pics? I cant seem to find a bend sharp enough to make the transition....If i cant come up with something i'll be going back to the factory manifold.

THanks, Rob

jcsanders79

Re: pacesetter header question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:27:08 AM »
I've got a PS header and have no issues.  I do have a 1" mml and am running a flat tcase skid with an sye.  I had to have the exhuast rerouted. though.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:28:35 AM »
A good exhaust shop can route the downpipe in front of the oil sump similar to a TJ, make sure they leave enough room to drop the starter if needed.

jcsanders79

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
I should add that I didn't do the rerouting myself but paid for it.  Something like $50-70?

van

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »
I didn't like the cross pipe either....until I changed the oil pump this weekend.  That said, I have already burned through one (twice).  Currently there is a rather large bolt welded between the individual pipes above the collector to (hopefully) slow down burn through.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
any of you guys running a pacesetter header on a tj? I REALLY dont like the cross pipe that comes with it. It runs down below the trans, instead of infront of the oil pan sump. Hangs lower then my skid. Holds my exhaust so low that the cat is hitting my skid, even with the 1" Tcase drop. I'm going to be putting an SYE in VERY soon, and need to get my skid up but the cross pipe is holding everything down. Is there a cross pipe i can buy the comes off the header and goes in front of the oil pan sump? Custom? pics? I cant seem to find a bend sharp enough to make the transition....If i cant come up with something i'll be going back to the factory manifold.

THanks, Rob

i just installed mine a couple of weeks ago or so (in a YJ) - is the TJ downpipe routing different? mine goes between the bellhousing inspection cover and the oil pan and it's about 1/2'' lower than the bellhousing - didn't have any issues with the cat but i had to cut the hanger off the stock pipe (the one that goes to the tranny mount) and used a clamp on it (cut about 1.5'' before and after the weld and then cut that pipe in half) that kept the downpipe and cat higher (i think it would come down in time since there's nothing holding it there, not sure how the TJs are but something to keep in mind) - that brought the whole pipe higher including where it comes across behind the oil pan. i think i have some pics, let me know if you're interested, again i have a YJ so i have no idea if it's the same.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

BarneyJeep

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:34 AM »
my crosspipe is actually routed underneath the bell housing, its about 1" below my factory tcase skid....
i talked to the exhaust shop today and they cant make a bend that tight. So i think a 1" mML will bring it up high enough that i can build an engine skid to cover it...

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »
i wonder if the YJ downpipe (the pacesetter one) would fit. but that's just wrong the way it's routed
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

BarneyJeep

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »
i'll get some pics up tonight of the T pipe...

post up some pics of the YJ one, if you dont mind.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
i'll get some pics up tonight of the T pipe...

post up some pics of the YJ one, if you dont mind.
sorry to get back to you so late on this. here they are

If i didn't have the wrap on i would've probably take it off and cut it right after the cone, take 1'' off and weld it back - it is hanging low on mine too but probably not as low as if it was under the tranny.

this is what i did with the hanger since it didn't come with the pacesetter pipe - that helped holding it up better

hope this helps

BarneyJeep

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »
if mine crossed under like that i wouldnt be upset in the least....mine actually comes under the TRANS, behind the bellhousing.

Bton

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:14:22 PM »
sorry to get back to you so late on this. here they are

If i didn't have the wrap on i would've probably take it off and cut it right after the cone, take 1'' off and weld it back - it is hanging low on mine too but probably not as low as if it was under the tranny.

this is what i did with the hanger since it didn't come with the pacesetter pipe - that helped holding it up better

hope this helps

I hope you didn't wrap the Header.  I wrapped mine and the heat being kept in rotted the header beyond repair and I had to buy another one.  Moister also gets trapped and rusts out the pipes.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
I hope you didn't wrap the Header.  I wrapped mine and the heat being kept in rotted the header beyond repair and I had to buy another one.  Moister also gets trapped and rusts out the pipes.

actually i did.

The header will rust anyway unless it's stainless (or coated). this header is cheap so i don't expect any long term relationship to come out of this and if this header outlasts 2 or 3 mufflers i'd say it's probably fine. How long did you have yours and did you use the high temp silicone spray on it? (apparently that's what DEI recommends to seal it). It does keep the temp lower around the header but next time i will add some of those high temp sleeves as well as i find that it still releases quite a bit of heat.

Bton

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 09:15:21 AM »
DID ALL THAT.   Take it off if you can.  Mine didn't last 6months.

Bton

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 09:21:46 AM »
My header burnt from the inside of the four tubes where it comes to one.  the wrap makes it burn out.  Not just rust.