Author Topic: 2.5 turbo question  (Read 5562 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: helllllllllp please!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 05:29:54 PM »
yea, im fing stumped im going to take it to a friend see what he thinks. appreciate the help. let you know how it goes

just making sure i didn't give you wrong info: does the FPR in your TJ have a vac port? if it doesn't disregard the part where you add the boost to the fuel pressure as you don't need it.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

l3uckeyefan

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »
ok, shitty now. took a 2 hour cruise to cincinnati and when i got off the highway jeep started to jerk and made a popping noise then died when i stopped. let it sit for a minute then started right up after giving it gas. did it one more time and did it again. finally got here but nervous for sunday any clues. i think im flooding the motor from the bigger injectors anybody have a clue. let me know thanks im gonna wrench tommorrow. which sucks cause im on a trip

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
do you get black smoke? do you have an engine check light? take the sparkplugs out and inspect them, are they back and look wet? - then you are flodding the cylinders or you have some spark issue

EDIT: would help if you write a little history of your build - when you finished your turbo, when did you put the injectors in (I assume they are the 44lb/hr ones), how many miles since your turbo went in, what boost are you running, did it run fine before your trip, what was your mpg, do you have a 4.0 t/b, etc - any info can give more clues
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:00:08 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

l3uckeyefan

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »
theres no black smoke but my check engine light has been on since theres no exhaust just straight pipe, i think im flooding the motor and its back firing, i just ordered the split second calibrator psc1-001 with ab. map sensor hopefully that works.yea i have the 44lb injectors and the throttle body is bored to  52mm.  and i have the turbo on for about 1500 miles. usually runs well, that was the first long haul. prolly the last until i get this fuel situtaion taken care of.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 03:20:57 PM »
theres no black smoke but my check engine light has been on since theres no exhaust just straight pipe, i think im flooding the motor and its back firing, i just ordered the split second calibrator psc1-001 with ab. map sensor hopefully that works.yea i have the 44lb injectors and the throttle body is bored to  52mm.  and i have the turbo on for about 1500 miles. usually runs well, that was the first long haul. prolly the last until i get this fuel situtaion taken care of.

check the code, it's probably a too rich code (or couple of them since you're OBD2) - there's an error code section in the FAQ that explains how to check it. what's your max boost btw?

l3uckeyefan

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
15 lbs of boost, and another question does anyone know the difference of air/fuel calibrator or fuel timing calibrator which one will help retard the ecu

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 09:08:04 PM »
fuel timing (FTC1) will retard the ignition advance. 15psi is quite a lot of boost - what octane are you running? did you lower your CR or do you use some alcohol injection? Sean here (St. Chevrolet) is using methanol injection but I don't think he's running that much boost though. And btw, for 15psi of boost your injectors are just right if you are at around 49psi fuel pressure, what i don't know is what your fuel pressure is when you're at max boost (it your FPR adjusting the pressure via the vac port?) - you can unplug the vac port and you'll be right on the money in that case (you might run into issues at idle and mid range but you can use the PSC1 to solve that problem).

l3uckeyefan

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
im running alcohol injectors 100 psi sure flo pump, 5 gal/hr injector nozzle, so use the psc1 and that should take care of it. and i run 93 octane.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
im running alcohol injectors 100 psi sure flo pump, 5 gal/hr injector nozzle, so use the psc1 and that should take care of it. and i run 93 octane.
PSC1 will definitely get you the right tuning capabilities but like i said before the only thing i am not sure is what your fuel pressure is when you get to 15psi of boost, that's the only issue that i can think of and i'm not familiar with the TJ fuel lines and regulator - i think there's no return off the fuel rail on your year, but i'm not sure and dunno if the FPR has a vac port either so in case it doesn't with 49psi stock pressure you are fine with your injectors. that thing must be flying with 15psi of boost, you should be at around 240HP

l3uckeyefan

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »
yea it will get on it i can chirp the 33s in second, just got off the phone, ordered the fuel timing calibrator, that one i can piggy back and tune it off a dyno, should get it friday cant wait.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
yea it will get on it i can chirp the 33s in second, just got off the phone, ordered the fuel timing calibrator, that one i can piggy back and tune it off a dyno, should get it friday cant wait.

post an update and let us know how it goes once you get it in. not sure how much the dyno will charge you but you can get (in case you don't have it yet) an wideband o2 and a logbox so you can do your own tuning - then you can dyno it so you know how much power you make. Tuning on a dyno can get really pricey unless you have an "in" with some shop

alexr40

Re: 2.5 turbo question
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
hi buddy. i dont have an answer for you...and i dont mean to hijack this thread, but i am thinking on turboing mine.. do you have pics that you can share with us about your project?

hope that someone can shim in with an answer for you.. probably a microtech would do it.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 05:04:54 PM »
whats up all, im new to this forum and its the only one i could find with my topic. well i turbed my 99 tj with the 2.5, my problem is i need to get something to where i could piggyback my computer so i can tune. didnt think much about it during the project. I have been looking t the aem fi/c, but know buddy can tell me if it will work or not, and i dont really wanna spend the $400 bucks and it not be compatible. any answers or suggestions i would appreciate it.

hi buddy. i dont have an answer for you...and i dont mean to hijack this thread, but i am thinking on turboing mine.. do you have pics that you can share with us about your project?

hope that someone can shim in with an answer for you.. probably a microtech would do it.

Try a search, there are a couple of turbo projects here that cover the subject very well, along with what works and what does not (and with all the pictures to match).  There's also some for superchargers, if thatcatches your eye...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

l3uckeyefan

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
theres a couple in poseur central, ill get ore of the engine bay as soon as i can

bluepwr

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »
how is the project going ? did you fix the Jeep
you need split second FTC1-019B and a fuel pump booster. the factory pump is only good for 7psi and you're 44lbs injector is not a problem.