Author Topic: Manual trans question.  (Read 652 times)

sickjeepjohn

Manual trans question.
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
New to the jeep world I was wondering if the gear box that is currently leaking on my jeep takes gear lube or automatic trans fluid? I have a 1991 wrangler 2.5L 5 speed. The fill cap is access able from the drivers side looks like a T-55 torques bit. There is currently a pinkish red substance leaking from where the rear drive shaft goes into this unit.. The guy that owned this before me is a tard so he may not have added the right fluid. I was reading somewhere that it takes gear lube in there is that right? If so that could explain the leak and why I get a grinding when leaving 1 and going to second gear. It had a new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing replaced about 1 year ago and the gasket where the rear drive shaft enters the trans which is currently leaking. Also that fill cap on the trans is striped on.. Any suggestion with my list of problems would be great. Sorry for the long post.

czjeeper

Re: Manual trans question.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
If it's leaking at the slip yoke, it will be the TC that's at fault. It takes auto tranny fluid.
The transmission itself takes gear oil.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Manual trans question.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
New to the jeep world I was wondering if the gear box that is currently leaking on my jeep takes gear lube or automatic trans fluid? I have a 1991 wrangler 2.5L 5 speed. The fill cap is access able from the drivers side looks like a T-55 torques bit. There is currently a pinkish red substance leaking from where the rear drive shaft goes into this unit.. The guy that owned this before me is a tard so he may not have added the right fluid. I was reading somewhere that it takes gear lube in there is that right? If so that could explain the leak and why I get a grinding when leaving 1 and going to second gear. It had a new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing replaced about 1 year ago and the gasket where the rear drive shaft enters the trans which is currently leaking. Also that fill cap on the trans is striped on.. Any suggestion with my list of problems would be great. Sorry for the long post.

On my 95 the fill plug to the tranny is on the pass. side. There is a plug somewhere on the tranny that says do not remove. Carefull of that one.
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,422.0.html
Here is a list of lubes for the tranny. DO NOT USE  GL5 GEAR OIL! I am running some Redline MTL.
The red stuff is from the T-case (like what czjeeper said)
The grinding from 1st to 2nd is fairly common. It's the syncro's going south. Changing the fluid to one in the above link might help with the grinding. Also don't speed shift. Let the RPM's fall a bit before grabbing 2nd. Or double clutch. Push the clutch in shift to N let the clutch out, then push it back in and shift to 2nd.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod: