Author Topic: 95 YJ 2.5L - Sitting for 2 1/2 years  (Read 1148 times)

benmar2000

95 YJ 2.5L - Sitting for 2 1/2 years
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
Ok.. I have an old 95 YJ that has sat in my garage for the past 2 1/2 years.. It ran when I parked it.. It has just been sitting.. Now I am wanting to get it back on the road.. Kind of a winter project..  I am going to replace all the rubber hoses and stuff.. Is there anything else I should worry about.. Like the O rings for the injectors?  I am trying to get a list of parts I should replace before I get this thing rolling under it's own power..

Thanks in advance for the help..

Ben

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: 95 YJ 2.5L - Sitting for 2 1/2 years
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
if you didn't start the engine in 2-1/2 yrs i would take all the spark plugs out first and squirt some diesel fuel into the cylinders and leave it to sit for couple of days - it would soften up any rust or deposits that dried out over time - then you spin it slowly by hand 10 turns or so, crank it with the spark plugs out so it won't start and clear out the diesel from the cylinders (also take out the fuel pump relay so there's no fuel coming in thru the injectors). once you did that replace the oil preferably with an oil meant for flushing/cleaning (i think you can still buy those) - you should actually do that before you crank it. i would then start it and let it idle quite a bit and then replace the oil again with one that you would run on a regular basis. o-rings can dry out but i would say that you'll probably be fine to start it like that and go from there (of course once you put the fuel pressure relay back in and set the contact on so it will build pressure look at the fuel rail side of the injectors to make sure they're not leaking). You should also check the brakes and power steering to make sure it's safe to move around (including the e-brake), take it for a quick spin around (really slow and not around pple - and be ready to use your e-brake), brake a few times and then recheck to insure there are no leaks (the rubber sometimes gets stuck on the metal and it breaks once you start pressing the pedal - same goes for the clutch).

EDIT: you should squirt some oil in the cylinders after you let it sit with the diesel in for couple of days and give it a few ours to penetrate -there could be some product out there to use instead of the diesel fuel and that is meant specifically for this but don't know of one, i always used diesel - if you do use something else make sure it has some lubrication features or add the oil in there before turning the engine, you don't want something that would wash out and dry or it could scratch the cyl walls.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:03:41 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

benmar2000

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the info..  I know they have Marvin's Miracle oil.. I wonder if that would work as a cleaning oil..

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »
Thanks for the info..  I know they have Marvin's Miracle oil.. I wonder if that would work as a cleaning oil..
not sure how that is, back in the day there was a flushing oil that was meant for this but haven't done it in a while. Also added an edit on my first post, forgot to mention to add oil on top of the pistons and let it sit to make sure the rigs (EDIT: i meant rings) and pistons are lubricated. (EDIT: after letting it sit for a few hours first) you should give it a little turn and then go back a little as well to take on some oil - since this engine has a chain for the cam it is safe to do so, if it had a belt then the belt should be replaced before attempting to spin it backwards (just in case someone reads this and jumps on me for suggesting to rotate the engine counter-clockwise :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:13:50 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
Unless you put some fuel preservative in the tank, you will most likely have to replace the fuel pump. Then see if it will start and run let it idle and warm up while watching for leaks and overheating. Once everything is happy you could replace the oil and coolant.
Check the radiator and heater hoses for being soft/hard
Next time you store it for a long time change the oil before you store it, used oil has sulphur in it that eats up the crank and rod bearings. Is very common on motorhomes that get stored a lot. Once running good see if the brakes are ok (No stuck wheel ctlinders and such) Also check the tires for dry rot
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

benmar2000

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
Ok.. It makes sense to make sure the engine is free moving before trying to start it.. and dry starts could ruin the engine..   Like I said, this is going to be a winter project.. Get it up and running and have it ready to go for some nice spring and summer driving..  :D  I am also going to take the TB off and clean it.. Do a tune up... WOW!! I am all  stoked about doing this now..  :dance:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
aw also made a great point ^ in his post - I forgot about the fuel - you should also take out what's in the tank and add fresh fuel and replace the fuel filter as well.

I am also going to take the TB off and clean it.. Do a tune up... WOW!! I am all  stoked about doing this now..  :dance:
it's a good idea to clean it especially the idle valve housing as the piston in there can get stuck if there is a lot of dried stuff around it (oil+dirt). Also at least take out the air filter and blow it if not replacing it with a new one. also check the fitting on the valve cover that has the tube going in the intake manifold, make sure both ends are clean and free flowing and the tube is not plugged.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:26:58 PM by sharpxmen »

benmar2000

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
Good idea.. What I am going to do is flush the fuel lines with clean fuel and empty the tank.. Since the fuel pump is the original, I am thinking it might be a good idea to just replace that as well.. Install a new fuel filter..  Should I be worried about the charcoal canister?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
Good idea.. What I am going to do is flush the fuel lines with clean fuel and empty the tank.. Since the fuel pump is the original, I am thinking it might be a good idea to just replace that as well.. Install a new fuel filter..  Should I be worried about the charcoal canister?
if you mean the evap canister - i have no idea, never serviced one of those