Author Topic: cleaning iat  (Read 693 times)

pioneer4x4

cleaning iat
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
i have an 86 xj 2.5l tbi and was gonna clean the intake air temperature sensor since it is pretty nasty and a new one is not available at any parts stores around. i was wondering if i could clean it with this crc lectra-motive electric parts cleaner i have? my only concern is it states that you shouldn't use it on polycarbonate plastics such as lexan? not real sure what all that means, and the iat sensor has a plastic housing? is it polycarbonate? thanks in advance.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: cleaning iat
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:02:32 PM »
not sure what is made of but if it's just nasty you can use soap and water (or vehicle shampoo and water) and a soft brush (a soft paint brush would do so you can get in all the little spots) - that should be safe, and just blow it dry. I was to suggest pump gas but again not sure if the housing is resistant to that (should be, but you never know).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »
if it wasn't gas resistant i would think it would be totally eaten by now since it is in the manifold after the gas is injected into the air and its lasted 23 years...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:30:41 AM »
if it wasn't gas resistant i would think it would be totally eaten by now since it is in the manifold after the gas is injected into the air and its lasted 23 years...
i think he was worried for the housing by the electrical connector (i assume that's what he wanted to wash since he mentioned that cleaning product)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

pioneer4x4

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »
thanks for the replys, i was talking about the end that goes into man. but im gonna clean both ends. thanks