Author Topic: Turbo'ing the squirrels overall price  (Read 763 times)

phillsam

Turbo'ing the squirrels overall price
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:42:35 AM »
Hey guys,

So without going into major specifics...how much overall does it cost to turbo my 2.5?
How much did it cost the others here on the forum?

I have just been given a stock 2002 wrx turbo in great condition so that is making me really want to turbo this guy.

I just need an idea of the total price...

thanks a lot guys

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
Re: Turbo'ing the squirrels overall price
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »
Good question (but don't forget the hidden costs)
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:25:30 AM »
Hey guys,

So without going into major specifics...how much overall does it cost to turbo my 2.5?
How much did it cost the others here on the forum?

I have just been given a stock 2002 wrx turbo in great condition so that is making me really want to turbo this guy.

I just need an idea of the total price...

thanks a lot guys
EDIT: I know you said no specifics but these are all options, the final price will depend a lot on what you chose to get

there are a few guys here that did a turbo or working on getting one done. I am on my way with a supercharger so i can give you some info on what goes around the engine other than the turbo

fuel injectors - anywhere from $20 to about $100 (even more if you buy them new from a store but i think you can fit in this range off ebay or craigslist). I think someone also mentioned mr. injector as having good prices, but i can speak for that - i got a set of 8 accels for around $60 if i remember correctly

adjustable fuel pressure regulator - i got a mallory for $100 but i added some options and it went to $150 (got a fuel pressure gauge, fittings and braided hoses)

fuel [timing] management - i got a split second FTC1 that modifies the MAP output and can also retard timing and it runs around $580 or something like that, got mine off craigslist for $300. they also make one that only manages the MAP output called PSC1 and i think is around $280 from what i remember. If you still need to retard timing you can get an MSD timing retard module, i got one before i bought my FTC for $125 off ebay (these are the ones that come with the vortech kits as well and can adjust the timing retard based on boost in degrees/psi). AEM also makes a unit compatible with OBD2 systems that does both fuel and timing and i think also O2 output mod and it runs at around $400 but i have no experience with that, don't know how well it works just listing options that i know of.

cooler sparkplugs - $12

wideband o2 sensor with computer interface - this one i got for $150 on sale (i think, it's been a long time), they are around $200 regular price
innovate ssi-4 - can't remember this one exactly either but i think was around $200 (these last 2, o2 and ssi4 i got to be able to log my afr and sensor outputs so i can tune the mix properly - you don't need to get them, but i chose to do so)

intercooler - got one for $85 shipped, brand new bar and plate 18x12x3 with matching 2.5'' in/out

2 core radiator (not sure if you need one but i noticed my water temp going high quickly when i had the supercharger on - at the time i was running lean so that might have contributed, but since my rad was old and start sipping around the plastic tank i chose to get a new 2 core one, 1-3/4'' thick compared to the stock one i had on my 95 YJ that was 5/8'' thick) - this was $139 shipped i think, ebay purchase, brand new with aluminum tanks

2.5'' aluminum piping - this was something around $80 shipped and i got 9 pieces, various bends (initially i used 2.5 exhaust piping, it works but the bends are bad and they are fairly heavy as well).
blow-off valve - $25 off ebay (in my case used as a bypass valve)
count for various things that you can't think of to about $200 - it's not exaggerated, you'll see what i mean once you start your project

I don't know how much your exhaust rerouting and turbo bracket will be, the guys here that did a turbo can help more on that.

this is what i can think you would need to have your turbo on but you can start with less and add things in time (like the intercooler for example). Sean (st. chevrolet) has added water/methanol injection to his setup and that solved his knock problem so that could be an option down the road for you as well - he can give you more insight on that.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:27:49 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

phillsam

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:30:19 AM »
thanks for the info

Anyone else with an overall price?
I wouldnt be needing an intercooler due to running less than 6psi