Author Topic: Unending greed  (Read 1972 times)

Offline dwtaylorpdx

Re: Unending greed
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »
Nope all 250K miles were put on her by me... And the cylinders only had about .003 ridge in them.

My engine guy told me Mopar since about 1988 has had a lot of the base castings done overseas or Mexico.
Thier mold quality control is pretty loose. He's pulled down motors that were weeping antifreeze through the
cylinder wall down low between cyl 2&3. NO cracks, or other damage, it had really small micro perforations through the iron.

When he builds a 318 V8 engine he said it usually takes about 4 blocks to find a
good one.

Also my target redline was 7000, and I'm at about 11:1 compression so we had to be conservative
on the bore given the heat I was going to be generating at the upper end, and I planned on pump
gas which means a pretty high burn temp.

Its all a house of cards... :)

Oh, and there are "Iron Duke" castings which will take a .080 rebore and make 300HP.... Mostly Pontiac.
You oughta see what they do when things go wrong....

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline chardrc

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »

Oh, and there are "Iron Duke" castings which will take a .080 rebore and make 300HP.... Mostly Pontiac.
You oughta see what they do when things go wrong....

ya but that with the super duty duty block that they made for racing and was never in a production vehicle? thats what i was finding in my search before. sounded cool. they even had a dual overhead cam head kit for it...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »
The super duty block was in some Pontiac street cars, it was also a Marine part number.

I work on a Midget and the other guys we race against several have the Pontiac engines,
some super duty real race blocks but some are stock engines from the old grandma grocery getters.... :)

The voodoo is which engine plant the block comes from, I'll have to try and get the block id info
because that would be handy for the old jeep owners to know... If your gonna buiold a motor go big ! :)

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio