Author Topic: Something I wouldn't have thought to check  (Read 1460 times)

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Something I wouldn't have thought to check
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »
Offroading today and I came down off a big ledge, motor cuts out.  Tank was low so I figured that the pickup was out of the gas.  We pulled it onto flat ground and it still wouldn't start.  Checked and there was no spark.  Turns out that the 02 harness came off the bracket and all the wiring burned up and shorted on the exhaust.  This is turn blew out the pcm fuse.  Cut off the bad wiring and Swapped in the headlight fuse and it started right up.  I've got a check engine light and it's running a little rich, but it allowed me to finish the days trailride.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

DodgeMudder

Re: Something I wouldn't have thought to check
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:41:56 AM »
This is one of those hard to prevent problems it doesn't take long to burn wiring and cause problems.

Of course this is also a good example of why it's important to crawl under your rig before/after every trip and look at everything and try to find anything thats out of place.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
Next one will be tied up well.  New o2 is on the way, just need to find a donor for the body side harness
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
Next one will be tied up well.  New o2 is on the way, just need to find a donor for the body side harness

if you have trouble finding one i think i have an extra harness end somewhere - so if you're out of  options let me know and i'll look for it. Would be free just pay for shipping (can't see it being more than $4)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
Well there's your problem  :lol:
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
Have had that happen before, it's mainly the O2 heater circuit that causes the short.
Atleast you could finish the day Chuck
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:58 AM »
Thanks for the warning.  I'm going to check and zip tie mine.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch