Author Topic: 95 YJ Spitting and sputtering..  (Read 891 times)

4BangN

95 YJ Spitting and sputtering..
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I changed out the plugs in my jeep because it was falling on its face on the bottom end with 50% throttle.  Less then that and it was fine and more then that it was fine.  It is very weird how it is acting.  So I thought I'd try and change out the plugs..  So I did.  And it is a little better but still not running 100%.  I'm not sure what to check out next..  

The only mods it has as far as engine is Full MSD ignition.  The factory ignition was giving the previous owner a ton of problems so he just went full MSD and said things were good after that.  

The jeep as for a little while, maybe 6 months give or take I'm not exactly sure.  But it starts right up and idles fine.  What could this problem be?  Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:04:28 PM by 4BangN »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: 95 YJ Spitting and sputtering..
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
how did the old plugs look like? did you replace the dist cap, rotor and wires - if not would be a good idea to inspect them.

since you're saying it's only at a certain throttle position makes me think is the TPS but I can't be sure.

any codes (check engine light)?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

4BangN

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
how did the old plugs look like? did you replace the dist cap, rotor and wires - if not would be a good idea to inspect them.

since you're saying it's only at a certain throttle position makes me think is the TPS but I can't be sure.

any codes (check engine light)?
I knew I was going to get called out on all that.  lol

Old plugs looked ok.  Nice tan color...
Yes I have a code, No I haven't had it checked yet..  I need to do that just not much time.
No i didn't change the wires but I did inspect them and they seemed to be ok.  I could always change them out for good measure.
No I didn't change the cap and rotor.  Nor did I inspect it.  Ran out of day light..  I plan too as soon as I get a full day off work....  

But as for the TPS I thought that sensor effected your idle aswell..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:54:24 PM by 4BangN »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »
I knew I was going to get called out on all that.  lol

Old plugs looked ok.  Nice tan color...
Yes I have a code, No I haven't had it checked yet..  I need to do that just not much time.
No i didn't change the wires but I did inspect them and they seemed to be ok.  I could always change them out for good measure.
No I didn't change the cap and rotor.  Nor did I inspect it.  Ran out of day light..  I plan too as soon as I get a full day off work....  

check the code, my money is on a TPS code, that's what i had when mine went bad - could be something else, very likely that the code stored will tell you the problem.

But as for the TPS I thought that sensor effected your idle aswell..

not necessarily, mine was idling fine but as soon as i would accelerate would do something similar to what you describe and would go away once i floor it.

anyway, check the code and report back :)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
... mine was idling fine but as soon as i would accelerate would do something similar to what you describe and would go away once i floor it.

When my TPS plug came loose, it acted similarly; it would idle fine, and pedal to the metal was also OK, but accelaration was VERY poor (it would sputter and buck).  Dont check ONLY the sensor, but rather make sure it is connected properly as well...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost