Author Topic: 4WD parts 2.5 cat back exhaust  (Read 5351 times)

Offline aparke4

4WD parts 2.5 cat back exhaust
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
Hey guys,

from website:

These kits are made of 2-1/2" Aluminized mandrel bent tubing and include a 2-1/2" turbo muffler, 2-1/2" tailpipe, hangers and clamps. Some vehicle applications also include plain steel reducing adapter bushing to install the 2-1/2" muffler to the smaller converter. *Fits systems with flange after catalytic converter.

price: just under 150.

I got the 4WD aluminized 2.5 cat back kit with the turbo muffler. The kit comes with adapter flanges to meet up with the factory cat, muffler, clamps, tailpipe and of course instructions. I opted to weld this kit on and here are the steps I took:

Here in town we have a good array of muffler shops and our local jeep club is sponsored by a local Midas and they give 15% off so I tried them out.

The reason I wanted it welded was piece of mind. I also am going to be installing a banks header soon and wanted everything firm and buttoned up. Also having the jeep on the lift gave me a chance to check out the under carriage.

The kit is a full 2.5 mandrel bent pipe. Very smooth bends and the fit was spot on. A little fabrication and the old factory exhaust was taken off and the new one on in an hour! We trimmed the rear tail pipe so it fires down to the ground like OEM. All the tabs/ hangers were right on with my 2001 TJ. I reused the rubber hangers but had to modify one - I like the rubber hanger for vibration purposes. If you were to DIY the kit with clamps it really would take under 2 hours. I had no major fitment issues at all.

According to the instructions, the muffler is center in and offset out. I called 4WD to get the manufacturer of the muffler because it fit great backwards (off set in and center out).  Heartthrob is the company that makes the kit. I got their number and spoke to a very nice fella on the phone and these turbo type mufflers can be installed either way with very little difference in flow. So we buzzed it up and called it good!

Notes on install:

I opted to put on a flex pipe for my header install which is going to be soon. I put it near the bottom of the down pipe - tons of room to put it wherever you want.

I also opted to install a 2.5 in/out hi flow cat by Magnaflow. Fit like a glove BUT you need to have a o2 bung welded in unless you get the direct fit (my universal 2.5 in out was like 50 bucks - hard to beat!) - direct fit is like 150 I think.

Ok now the good stuff!

Sound: so glad I did not go flowmaster with the 4 banger. I have read a lot on muffler choice and I did not want loud but i did want noticeable. The sound is plush and mellow. In 1,2,3 gear you can really notice the new set up over stock and then it almost disappears in 4,5 gears. No drone, no loud flowmaster rasp. Low enough to know it is there but silent enough to let mom drive it - even with softtop. In cab noise is minimal by my standards. The hi flow cat might have a hand in this but i can not wait till the banks header is on. Overall, it sounds really good through out the entire RPM range.

Performance: Smoooooth idle. WOW! Just with these components the jeep seems so much happier! Throttle response is slightly increased and a little more punch in the mid RPM range. MPG --- time will tell. I do have a cold air intake and 4.0 bored tb so now i feel like there is good amount of air in / air out. Also the jeep seemed to run slightly cooler and the floorboards were not as hot so I think the motor is breathing a little better.

Final thoughts:

Durability --- I have heard of these kits rotting out and rusting out in a year, etc. Again, time will tell. Everything is tucked nice and high so banging it around will be minimal. I dunno - I have faith. The stainless kit is twice as much and this jeep is on a budget. I feel good with the purchase. It really complements my other performance mods. I will keep an eye on the rust.

Really good price, easy install but a local shop could do this for ya for the same price (kit price + installation price) - maybe even cheaper. 

Links:

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com

4 cyl cat back in 2.5
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=20&plID=810&partID=3504

Magnaflow Cat - I have used this vendor 3 times. Zero issues.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carsound-MagnaFlow-Catalytic-Converter-2-5-HF-FS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b17a605bQQitemZ140416540763QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Pics:

Offline aka-justin

Re: 4WD parts 2.5 cat back exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »
Good write up  :thumbsup:
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

b.hog

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
I like the feedback on the sound,I installed a Dynomax super turbo system on my yj,way too loud.Sounds nice and beefy at idle and after 3000 rpm ,but after it broke in, was too loud for my taste,and am ready to replace it sometime in the future.How long has it been installed,and did it seem to get louder everyday?

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
Second that on the Dynomax.  Had one of those way back early last decade and it was way louder than I was expecting. 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline aparke4

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
mine is freshly installed - maybe a week

good point on the "break in" - i hope it does not get any louder... if anything I would like it to mellow out some more but i do not think that will happen. So far it seems to be holding steady in the sound department. I am going to add a sound clip here shortly.

RT

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »
sounds like a great system, I'll have to pick one up, but you don't have to weld it right?

Offline aparke4

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
correct - comes with hardware and flange adapter to bolt in over stock cat

b.hog

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
Hows this hanging in ?

RT

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
has it exploded yet?

Offline aparke4

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
no explosions! well yet...

no really the system is fine but I has to re-weld one factory hanger which cracked (harsh roads here in MS) and it left a small dent where the rear driveshaft was rubbing for a while near the tcase output but other than that the system is fully broken in with about 4k miles on it

my friend describes it as a go cart coming around the corner! ha!

at idle is is kinda wimpy but through the gears it has grown on me - i do have a banks header and hi flow cat with air intake and bored tb, etc so the whole combo produces a good tone

on highway though through softop is kinda loud but you can still have a conversation

RT

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
is it a packed like a turbo or baffled like a flowmaster?

Offline aparke4

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
I am not sure about the construction of the muffler

Offline aparke4

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »
ok so the muffler is broken in and to be honest sounds kinda rough

i think it is a packed turbo muffler - not a welded chambered like a flow master

I am thinking about replacing the muffler

any opinions>?

I am going to get a sound clip here soon... it just sounds blapy at idle with no real growl... with gas it fades and sounds ok but drones bad on the highway

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Post about my Mods on gunbroker.com and one guy bthat sells to muffler shops had these suggestions.

If ya want a little rumble have a muffler shop put on a Flowmaster Super 44-for a little less rumble either a Flowmaster 50 Series or a Magnaflow--you can hear what a jeep sounds like with them on Flowmaster or Magnaflows websites-for on the cheap a Turbo muffler or GOOD glasspack will work too--not those garbage red devil ones at the local Autozone. I had a Hushpower muffler-made by Flowmaster on my TJ and it gave it a really nice tone-and you can tuck them up higher than a regular muffler because of their design.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

RT

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
Could go with the Flow 40/44, if you don't like super loud I'd recommend a Dynomax Ultraflow/Flow 40 on the loud side and a 14 magnaflow oval on the quite side. If you like loud go with the Super 44, round Magnaflow, or a glasspack