Author Topic: ADJUSTABLE MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX  (Read 9677 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: ADJUSTABLE MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »
I know that when I am doing 65mph I can slightly step on the pedal and she will climb to 75 to 80 mph with ease.

so in your tests you don't open the throttle completely? I thought you're talking max power and torque, you don't get that at 1/2 the pedal.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

quicksand

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Still testing and trying to find my sweet spot. Right now full throttle has only been applied right off the line. Wow she takes off fast. I will test at full throttle on highway when I get a chance. Dont want any tickets.  I can do 70 to 75 at about 1/4 throttle. Gotta find a clear strecth off highway.

RT

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
I misstyped in my previous post, I don't mean pressurized, I mean it's more important to have a lot air speed funnelling into the throttle body as you can. This is waaay more important than just having an ass load of air. If you have the airspeed going into the throttle body you'll smooth out the turbulence I was talking about earlier. And that directional fluidity of air flow into the throttle body is how you get the most power. And that's a one of the biggest advantages over the compartmentalized stock system. Air's a fluid and you have to think about how it's going to flow through the engine. Just my two experience pennies. I'm not an engineer just a over-enthusiastic 19 year old with a jeep so please do everyone (including myself) a favor and feel free to prove me wrong lol :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

P.S. Do you guys want me to post pics of my system or no?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
I misstyped in my previous post, I don't mean pressurized, I mean it's more important to have a lot air speed funnelling into the throttle body as you can. This is waaay more important than just having an ass load of air. If you have the airspeed going into the throttle body you'll smooth out the turbulence I was talking about earlier. And that directional fluidity of air flow into the throttle body is how you get the most power. And that's a one of the biggest advantages over the compartmentalized stock system. Air's a fluid and you have to think about how it's going to flow through the engine. Just my two experience pennies. I'm not an engineer just a over-enthusiastic 19 year old with a jeep so please do everyone (including myself) a favor and feel free to prove me wrong lol :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

P.S. Do you guys want me to post pics of my system or no?

prove you wrong about what? didn't understand that one, you haven't been very specific. In any case, it's not a contest or anything, I just comment on what i read and give my 2 cents, it's up to you to take what you think is positive out of it and use it or discard it, I can't force you to believe or prove you wrong with no body of test other than giving examples and trying to explain how things work, you can make your own decision to believe or not what other say.

yes, post some pics of your setup.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

quicksand

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
Yeah I have given my 2 cents many times, hey thats added up to dollars. Show me the money. Hey everybody enjoy the forum, RIGHT. We are so bless we have food, clothing, beds and O yeah JEEPS!!    AMEN.

RT

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
prove you wrong about what? didn't understand that one, you haven't been very specific. In any case, it's not a contest or anything, I just comment on what i read and give my 2 cents, it's up to you to take what you think is positive out of it and use it or discard it, I can't force you to believe or prove you wrong with no body of test other than giving examples and trying to explain how things work, you can make your own decision to believe or not what other say.

yes, post some pics of your setup.

lol dude I know it's not a contest, I'm just want to know if what I know is right, that's why I come to this site. I wasn't being sarcastic I don't want to jack up my rig or do something and waste my time because my info is wrong. And sure I'll get some up as soon as I can.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
lol dude I know it's not a contest, I'm just want to know if what I know is right, that's why I come to this site. I wasn't being sarcastic I don't want to jack up my rig or do something and waste my time because my info is wrong. And sure I'll get some up as soon as I can.

alright, no worries

one thing to know is that you're not pushing air into your engine but it's actually sucking in air. the cfm thru the intake at a specific engine speed is a result of your engine displacement, rpm and VE at that specific rpm (volumetric efficiency) - but the smaller the intake diameter the higher the airspeed. Think about why everyone wants larger throttle bodies and larger intake pipes - it is for less pressure drop and better VE (so that means more air into the cylinders). Same reason for which you port intakes and intake ports (and also polish them) and you want larger intake valves (and exhaust valves as well). So a bit backwards on airspeed, less is better but what you want is to increase cfm (air volume in cubic feet per minute). For example at the same cfm the speed of the air flowing thru a 1'' pipe would be 4 times higher than thru a pipe 2'' in diameter and more than 6 times faster compared to a 2.5'' pipe. Hope this helps.

EDIT: for an analogy on the airspeed vs intake diameter, you know when you squeeze a garden hose, the water comes out at higher speed and shoots further away but the actual volume coming out in a given amount of time is less than if you let it free flowing (and the speed of the water is way less in this case)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:06:27 PM by sharpxmen »

RT

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
alright, no worries

one thing to know is that you're not pushing air into your engine but it's actually sucking in air. the cfm thru the intake at a specific engine speed is a result of your engine displacement, rpm and VE at that specific rpm (volumetric efficiency) - but the smaller the intake diameter the higher the airspeed. Think about why everyone wants larger throttle bodies and larger intake pipes - it is for less pressure drop and better VE (so that means more air into the cylinders). Same reason for which you port intakes and intake ports (and also polish them) and you want larger intake valves (and exhaust valves as well). So a bit backwards on airspeed, less is better but what you want is to increase cfm (air volume in cubic feet per minute). For example at the same cfm the speed of the air flowing thru a 1'' pipe would be 4 times higher than thru a pipe 2'' in diameter and more than 6 times faster compared to a 2.5'' pipe. Hope this helps.

EDIT: for an analogy, you know when you squeeze a garden hose, the water comes out at higher speed and shoots further away, at that time you actually create pressure in the hose (which you can compare with the pressure drop in your intake since it's sucking air in) but the actual volume coming out in a given amount of time is less than if you let it free flowing (but the speed of the water coming out is way less) -what you want in an engine is to get more air, hope this makes more sense, i didn't know if i made it clear enough before.

Thanks man, oh ok, cool I didn't about it as a suction for some reason. When I built my system I thought of it like flowing water through the engine. Sounds dumb, but it sorta worked for me. Ok, I'll post a pic sometime in the next couple days. By the way TS have you found your optimum combo for your openings in your airbox yet?

quicksand

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »
I believe I found another sweet spot. My mileage is up again. Torque and power good off line and top speed, with little pedal. Saving gas again. The nice thing is when I cruise down the freeway at 65 MPH I am barely on the pedal, then If I step on it a lil I feel torque and she climbs to 70, 75 mph just to pass someone easy. Anyway had to find that right balance all over again after swapping to a bigger throttle body. Its actually controlled speed, it does exactly what I want it to do according to the pedal of course. It does not get away from me when crawling, crawls when idleling and takes off when I want it to. I actually have to let off pedal on highway just to maintain speed limit. FUN, FUN