Author Topic: Rebuild Cost  (Read 1003 times)

JFortner5

Rebuild Cost
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
I am just curious how much it has cost you guys to rebuild your 2.5L?  When my time comes, I am not really planning on adding any performance parts, but just a basic rebuild to freshen the thing up.

I am going to shoot for 200k miles before I do it.  Hopefully nothing will break before then. 

Basically I want to do it before it comes apart and I have a trashed block and head.  My plan is to reuse the crank and rods, go .030 over, and replace the pistons, cam, lifters, and the rest of the valve train.  Also, I would get the head rebuilt.

So, anybody done something similar?  Is it possible to do it for under $1000? 

BTW, I may have to throw a little hotter cam in, I have some very good friends at Hesco.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Rebuild Cost
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
So, anybody done something similar?  Is it possible to do it for under $1000? 

can't remember the exact numbers but ballpark costs:

pistons - $160
piston rings - $80
head rebuild - $200
bearings - $100 (very loose estimation)
block boring & honing - $200
crank machining - $150
gaskets - $80
dist chain, sprokets and tensioner - $75
hidraulic lifter set - $100
rocker pushrod set - $25

not sure if i missed anything (if i did someone will point it out for sure)

comes to about $1170 but like i said it's a ballpark, probably can be done for $1k if you shop around. This is if you do the work yourself and if the cam and cam bearings are good and if the valves and rockers can be reused ( if not some extra charges apply :lol: )
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

JFortner5

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
Thats not too bad.  I've built an engine before, a 5.0L Ford I put in a Mustang.  It ran good, but at the time I didn't know about plastigage and all that fun stuff.  I had it machined and put it together. 

When I do this engine, I will take a little more time and be more meticulous.

I think I may go to plan B.  I found a guy selling a 130k mile 2.5L out of a 95 YJ.  He said it was running good when he pulled it for a swap.  He only wants $175 for it so I think I might get it, and slowly build it up over time.  Then I won't have to worry about my engine if it blows up and windows the block and then I'd have nothing.  I'll slowly build this one up, and drive the crap out of mine until then and just see how long it will last. 

chitchc2

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »
You can find rebuilt motors for about $900.00 + your core out there depending on where you live.
There is a guy in North GA that is even a little less but he doesn't do internet sales or shipping.

Some of the online builders will even do a custom rebuild with performance upgrades if you call in and talk to them about what they offer.

When you start adding things like the rolling rockers that are very limited in availability the cost of the rebuild goes up quickly.
The most expensive component on my engine build were the yellow terra rolling rockers.

knotts89

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
how u like those rockers? would you recommend the on a motor with all stock internals? I seen them in a mag and was wondering if they were worth the money

chitchc2

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:05:06 AM »
I haven't had mine long enough to comment on the products durability but the installation was straight forward and rolling rockers in general are an upgrade over the stamped steel rockers which begin to flex more and more as the metal fatigues. So I guess that means, yes I would recommend them if you find yourself in a situation where you are working on something in that area.