Author Topic: 80's wagoneer install ?  (Read 938 times)

enginethatcould

80's wagoneer install ?
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »
I have a 80's Dana 44 front that I am trying to put in my 1993 YJ SOA and have a couple questions. I realize that the perches are 1" further out than the yj's and need to come in a 1/2" on each side. What do you do about the drivers side perch? I know you have to grind the housing to get it to fit but what about where it meets the axle tube? My u-bolt is stopping me from moving anymore in, do I just re-drill the spring plate or do I cut the housing where it meets the tube? Any pics and advice will be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
Re: 80's wagoneer install ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
I used Mopar spring perches and cut down the inside leg of the DS perch so it would fit up on the diff housing.  I then used 55% nickel rod to any part of the perch that was welded to cast.

My Waggy d44 is a little different in that it's the 84/85 model that had a vacuum disconnect, I converted to cable and run a spool in the front.

enginethatcould

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
I used Mopar spring perches and cut down the inside leg of the DS perch so it would fit up on the diff housing.  I then used 55% nickel rod to any part of the perch that was welded to cast.

My Waggy d44 is a little different in that it's the 84/85 model that had a vacuum disconnect, I converted to cable and run a spool in the front.

I used btf perches and plate and ground one of them to fit the housing side. The problem I am having is the ubolt is not allowing my perch to move enough for me to center the axle. Did you grind the housing where it meets the tube?

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
I think I only ground on the gear side of the spring perch, so the perch fit a little closer to center.  You may have to have your springs bowed outward slightly in the center to have the axle centered beneath the jeep.  To try to clarify, the spring pads would be 1/2" further apart than the spring hangers, bowing each spring outward 1/4" or whatever is needed.

enginethatcould

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
From my mesurements I need to move the perches inward 1" total or 1/2" per side. The closet I can get it is about 1/4" on the drivers side. The springs bowing out won't affect anything?