Author Topic: Exhaust smell  (Read 2280 times)

JFortner5

Exhaust smell
« on: May 06, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
Ok, I am getting really strong exhaust smell inside my jeep. I think I may have posted this before but I'm not sure. I run mostly with the back window rolled up and I know it is normal to have some odor while driving. Occasionally ill catch a whiff when going down the road.

The problem is when I let off the gas. Say I'm in 4th cruising along at 45 or so and come up to a red light. If I let off the gas and let it slow down using engine braking, I get a very strong gassy smell. My clothes smelled like it yesterday I noticed. If I was slowing down and push the clutch in, I don't get the smell.

Anybody else have this problem?  I believe the cat is intact. The previous owner replaced it because I had to weld up their hack job repair, although I guess the "new" cat could be bad. I don't think its hollow though, I have no CEL.

Thanks,
Joey

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Re: Exhaust smell
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
are your floor plugs in? if not, you could have exhaust gas coming in through the open holes. in that case the leak could be between the down pipe coming off the header and your exhaust pipe. try and tie some ribbons around all the areas where the pipes come together, then turn on the motor and see if you can spot a leak. The easiest way would be to wait until it gets cold out and then starting the jeep and taking a look under to see if you can spot exhaust...but you prob dont wanna wait that long.
I've always heard that an indicator of a bad cat would be a sulfurous odor-like rotten eggs. Just take a look from where all the pipes come together and see if you can spot the leak. You shouldnt be getting a high exhaust level in the cab when driving.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

JFortner5

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »
Good point about the floor plugs. In fact the one on the driver side under my feet is gone. It wasn't there when I bought the jeep. I was just concerned that it might possibly an engine problem.  The engine does have good oil pressure and does not smoke at all.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
if your rear window is rolled up your floor plugs will have little influence if any. and if you have the carpet still on would not make any difference.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

JFortner5

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
True, I do get the smell slightly with all windows closed but nothing like with it open. It gets so strong its like I'm holding my face in front of the tailpipe.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:20:56 PM »
i was thinking more like the passenger plug would be out and allowing the leaking gas in..if it's strong then you def have a leak. check where all the pipes connect. see if you can see or feel a leak. tie ribbons around where the pipes connect and see if you can spot them fluttering with the engine on.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
if you have your driver side window open and the rear window rolled up the airflow would go thru the rear window and out the driver side window - i know it's weird but that's just the way it flows. close the door windows and open the vents and the smell should be gone. If you have a soft top you can actually watch the rear side windows bowing out when the door windows are closed and getting sucked in when you open them (with the rear window lowered).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
if you have your driver side window open and the rear window rolled up the airflow would go thru the rear window and out the driver side window - i know it's weird but that's just the way it flows. close the door windows and open the vents and the smell should be gone. If you have a soft top you can actually watch the rear side windows bowing out when the door windows are closed and getting sucked in when you open them (with the rear window lowered).
i've had my windows open as you describe sharp, and i def don't get a strong exhaust smell, perhaps he may actually have a leak?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
i've had my windows open as you describe sharp, and i def don't get a strong exhaust smell, perhaps he may actually have a leak?

i'm not disputing that there might be something off with his engine or exhaust (faulty o2 can cause strong exhaust smell for example), all i'm saying is that if he has the carpet and the floor plugs are out it won't matter if he's got the rear window rolled up.