Author Topic: Pre-cat on 01 tj 4 cyl  (Read 730 times)

Offline aparke4

Pre-cat on 01 tj 4 cyl
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
It looks like an expansion bulb. I had one shop say it is a resonator and another say it is a pre cat spun and if removed it could mess up ecu, etc. It is small in size and is located on downpipe right next to oil pan.
Is it important to keep?
I have a magnaflow cat with a turbo muffler.
I am asking because it is a prime spot to add an additional flex pipe to help out my exhaust vibrations to rest of bolts and header.
Thanks!
Pic to come

Torch_Ind

Re: Pre-cat on 01 tj 4 cyl
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
It looks like an expansion bulb. I had one shop say it is a resonator and another say it is a pre cat spun and if removed it could mess up ecu, etc. It is small in size and is located on downpipe right next to oil pan.
Is it important to keep?
I have a magnaflow cat with a turbo muffler.
I am asking because it is a prime spot to add an additional flex pipe to help out my exhaust vibrations to rest of bolts and header.
Thanks!
Pic to come

it won't mess up the ecu. if your magnaflow isn't enough of a cat or working properly mainly it will give you a cel saying insufficient catalytic efficient code

it would work fine with out it. just make sure your post o2 sensor is behind your magnaflow cat or it will give ya cel.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:19:56 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline aparke4

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
ok cool I have both 02 sensors working properly. my downstream 02 sensor behind the magnaflow cat is a weld in bung due to universal cat

thanks for reply

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »
ok cool I have both 02 sensors working properly. my downstream 02 sensor behind the magnaflow cat is a weld in bung due to universal cat

thanks for reply

no prob

I would say that magniflow isn't designed for that pre-cat anyway. it's probably not doing much since your not a stock cat anyway