Author Topic: 2.4 clutch & lack of low-rpm "grunt" <GRIN>  (Read 1104 times)

msowka

2.4 clutch & lack of low-rpm "grunt" <GRIN>
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
Hello Folks,

As it's my first post, allow me to point out it's nice there is a forum dedicated to jeeps with more sensible (in current gas economy) engine sizes! I love my 2005 2.4, went all the way across canada to get a good specimen; great daily driver, and guzzles only 19mpg on avg.

I have noticed more recently a few things though and would like you take on these. These may have been there from day one (1 year and 10k km ago, BTW currently I have 86k km on the odo, 53k miles) and maybe I'm just paying more attention now, but maybe not:

- Very obvious clutch slip, especially in colder winter months: in 2nd or 3rd gear flooring it results in the engine revving up without car keeping to pace, then the rpms drop and the car starts accelerating as expected. Pardon my description, it's the first time I've experienced this disconcerting issue. QUESTION: Is it critical, will it require I replace the clutch, or just a little maintenance on it?

- Low rpm stutter & rough idle: I swear (but would not bet my life on it) that the car was originally better in the bit of 2.4 grunt it has off idle. Now it seems to stutter a lot unless I give it considerable gas when starting from full stop, and the idle seems pretty rough (this latter I may be just paying too much attention to). Could there be some maintenance I'm missing, considering the 53k mile odo but no good record of what's been done: eg air filter, fuel injectors, ???.

- Related to the last question, what widgets would you suggests to make sure the 2.4 is running at peak-shape (both in terms of 2.4-grunt ;) and fuel efficiency). For example the the AIRAID systems although pricey claim to offer some performance boost (http://www.quadratec.com/products/17008_101_07.htm). Also, in both an effort to resolve my low-rpm problems and gain some performance AND EFFICIENCY is there ECU programmer/flasher too for the 2.4 engines. I see quite a few of these advertised on the above referenced vendor's site, but none seem to be for the 2.4. (I seem to think I'm technically/electronically inclined so I'm especially interested in the last point there.)

Thanks Folks!
Mike

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: 2.4 clutch & lack of low-rpm "grunt" <GRIN>
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »

- Very obvious clutch slip, especially in colder winter months: in 2nd or 3rd gear flooring it results in the engine revving up without car keeping to pace, then the rpms drop and the car starts accelerating as expected. Pardon my description, it's the first time I've experienced this disconcerting issue. QUESTION: Is it critical, will it require I replace the clutch, or just a little maintenance on it?

yes, it's very critical, replace it

Can't offer advise on the 2.4L, i have a 2.5
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »
Stutter could very well be a misfire, time to replace sparkplugs?
Clutch slipage is no good, needs to be replaced
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

JFortner5

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
Unfortunately there is no maintenance for the clutch its just needs to be replaced.  Make sure to replace the throwout bearing as well. Also have the flywheel checked and turned if necessary.

As for the stuttering, I'd start with a good tune up if you have done so already. I don't know much about 2.4L's but at least try plugs and wires. Maybe some fuel system cleaner or seafoam also.

Good luck with it,
Joey

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »
  Make sure to replace the throwout bearing as well. Also have the flywheel checked and turned if necessary.

last time i looked for a clutch disk i could only get the whole kit (flywheel, disk and bearing), only one i could find on it's own was a rebuilt disk (which sucks since most of the time you don't need to replace the flywheel).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end