Author Topic: road2damascus turbo / injectors / wideband / piggyback ecu questions  (Read 913 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
been chatting on PMs with road2damascus over his planned turbo setup so i figured i'll share the communication for reference

Just read a whole bunch on your fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure regulators in general. I once put the ford 19lb injectors in and really didn't think they did much, so I yanked them. Now I know why. So let me get this straight, your adjustable FPR is better than a 44 psi preset FPR because it will give more pressure at WOT? Do you have any ready to ship out?
the only advantage of the ones i make is that you can adjust it. If all you want is to get a set pressure of 44 psi then it is no different than a factory non adjustable one that is preset at that. I have not seen a compatible one that has that pressure preset though.

I don't have any right now and I'm not sure when I'll be able to run another batch, been busy with other things and this went on the dead line since most of the guys here that were interested got one already. I'll PM you if I make more if you didn't get something to work for you in the meantime.

--------------------------------------------

Sharp, what is the best wideband i could set up now and eventually use for a turbo? Little by little I am going to complete my turbo project and figure getting a wideband now would be a good idea. I would probably have to mount this in the existing stock exhaust and then remount it into the down pipe when I am ready for the turbo correct?
I can't tell you what's the best one, but i can share what i did.

i went with the Innovate LC1, it has outputs that emulate the stock O2 sensor so you can install it in the stock location. this one was $199 at the time i got it and it did not have a gauge or display but had the serial laptop logging capability. Lately they released a new wideband that comes with a built in gauge and also has the analog output as well as logging capability on a laptop, it lacks the instantaneous output option but you don't really need it and imo it's the best bang for the buck at $199 (includes the wideband o2 and the programmable gauge) http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

you would still need a way to log your rpm, map and eventually the tps readings somehow so in addition to that you should plan for an SSI-4 (or equivalent if you go with a different brand) as well, that way you can do runs and analyze the data later. I have an SSI-4 and an LMA3 as well fyi.

So i would probably need the MTX-L wideband, the Split Second FTC-1, and the SSI-4?
at a minimum the MTXL and the SSecond PSC, you might get away without the timing calibration depending on how much boost you run. Ideally, yes, would be like you say. I would call (or email) Split Second and ask them if they have a model for Jeep that would also alter the O2 output in boost (you could use the MTXL to alter the output but that would be across the board in boost or without it) - I know they have some models that do just that but can't remember if it was compatible with the Jeep or not.

I just got an email from Splitsecond:

Thank you for your inquiry.  If you are running low boost, high octane or
lower compression, you may get away with running stock ignition timing.  If
that is the case you could use the PSC1-002.  If you are running 6 psi of
boost or higher, I would recommend the FTC1-019B for its ability to retard
timing.

You can order either of those units with the data acquisition option for an
additional $50.  That option will allow you to read and data log your
wideband AFR reading in the R4 program.

For enrichment in the closed loop region we recommend the Enricher.  It will
allow you to add fuel in boost and keep the ECU from trimming it away.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Mark

I was planning on using 6-8psi max boost so I guess I have to use the FTC-1 plus the data aquisition option plus the Enricher
The Enricher is a miniature electronic module that can be used to achieve fuel enrichment in both turbocharged and supercharged applications. It is compatible with virtually all late-model engine management systems. The Enricher addresses the specific requirement of adding fuel when an engine is in boost and the ECU is in closed-loop.

Modern ECUs operate in closed-loop mode over most of the load and RPM range. While in closed-loop, the ECU is very efficient at maintaining an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1. When an aftermarket turbo or supercharger is fitted to an engine, it is desirable to run at a much richer fuel mixture when the engine is in boost. Efforts to add fuel in boost are quickly overridden by the fuel trim that occurs in closed-loop. The Enricher alters the target fuel mixture in boost so that the stock ECU targets a user-adjustable richer mixture.
What do you think of the AEM fuel/ignition model? its fairly cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-FIC-Fuel-Ignition-Controller-Piggy-Back-Computer-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a74bf119QQitemZ290569580825QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
i looked at it at some point and looked good to me but at the time i aready went with the split second. I think (but i'm not sure so verify please) that it has the option of altering the o2 output built in, so that would solve the closed loop problem as well. Can't tell you anything about it first hand though, so you'll have to do some more research (see what others are saying about it on forums). you should also look at the installation manual to make sure it's compatible with the Jeep ECM (i know it works with the OBD2 Jeeps from what i remember when i looked at it, i don't see why it wouldn't work with YJ but better make sure).

------------------------------------------

I have read alot of posts and see some have used the 19lb, 24lb and 36lb ford injectors for turbo setups. I figure 19 is too lean. What do you say is the perfect size injector?
you need to calculate it based on boost
here's the formula:

newInjector=oldInjector*(14.7+boost)/14.7
oldInjector is 17.4 at 39psi, so when you select the new injector you'll have to match it's pressure or adjust it to get the desired flow

you usually add about 5 to 10% to that result to be on the rich side for boost

So if I had an adjustable FPR, Split second FTC-1 with data logging option, an innovate MTX-L, a fuel en-richer for boost conditions, and 30 lb injectors I would be looking pretty good? How about a inline pump in conjunction with the in tank pump, using both?

I just got two side mount inter-coolers with some hoses from a 02 Audi S4 for $30.50 to add to my project. Steal of a deal! I also found some 30lb Volvo injectors on eBay that are cheap enough for me but have not pulled the trigger on those.
how much boost you plan to run?
6-8 psi. The turbo I have has a 8psi limit.
6 psi: you need 27lb/hr injectors, you can use the 30lb/hr with the pressure set at 36psi
8 psi: you need 29.5 lb/hr, so again the 30lb/hr you got would work and set the pressure at 42 psi

this is all considering that the injectors you have are 30lb/hr at 43.5psi

what's the p/n? i can look it up to see if i find the specs somewhere

Part number(s):  0 280 150 357

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-TURBO-VOLVO-GREEN-TOP-BOSCH-FUEL-INJECTORS-30LB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a6bdbd18QQitemZ290560261400QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
they are 28lb/hr at 43.5 psi. a bit small for 8 psi boost, the reason is that you will have to raise the pressure to 48.5psi in the rail to get 29.5lb/hr flow. that pressure will be fine, however at 8 psi boost the fuel pressure would be 56.5, that is a bit high imo, doesn't mean it won't work just that i can't tell you for sure, you'll have to test and see

for 6 psi will be just fine
actually  you CANNOT use them at all, they are low impedance and you need high. don't attempt to use them on the Jeep they are incompatible with the Jeep PCM.

How about ford? They look exactly like my 19lb injectors but claim 30lb
P/N M-9593-B302
30lb/hr at 39 psi, they should work just fine for 8psi of boost, for 6 psi would require 32psi fuel pressure which is low if you account that at idle would go down to about 24 psi

they are EV1 connector and High impedance so compatible with the Jeep PCM.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end