Author Topic: wierd noise!  (Read 871 times)

sailorjerry13

wierd noise!
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:56 PM »
Hi everyone, hope u guys are doin well, I have a question about a weird noise that started a few days ago, it sounds like I'm dragging a chain and it seems to be comming from the bottom rear of my yj I notice it more when I take off in 1st gear or when comming to a stop but its always when moving, any thoughts?

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: wierd noise!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
Crawl under and see if there is any movement in the U joints on the drive shaft. (grab the drive shaft and give it a good tug and pull)
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
there is a chain in the transfer case...
make sure you're not in 4wd by any chance and that the tensioner cap is there (on the underside of the t-case)

otherwise on top of what he ^ said i would check fluids in rear diff, t-case and transmission. also make sure the transmission mounts are sound (center and anti-torque), long shot but have a look while you're under there anyway.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

sailorjerry13

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »
4 banger yj was right, drive shaft had play so i changed the u joints and problem solved, thank u very much for the help

Torch_Ind

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
4 banger yj was right, drive shaft had play so i changed the u joints and problem solved, thank u very much for the help

:thumb: