Author Topic: Swapping in late model gas tank skid plate  (Read 1628 times)

Offline jagular7

Swapping in late model gas tank skid plate
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
I spent the better part of the weekend replacing my gas tank skid plate on my 97 TJ. I needed to replace my stock 97 sheetmetal skid plate with a late model skid plate. The late model is actually thicker and provides much better coverage. I also doubled the base thickness from another late model skid plate and yes it was twice as heavy as the stock sheetmetal skid.

It took a while to figure out the pressure feed fuel line connector as well as the electrical connector. You really need your 2 hands up there and with the limited space laying on the ground reaching up was a little high. You push the 2 clips on the fuel connector, then pull the line off. Simple once you figure it out. The electrical connector had a safety pin to remove or pop (I removed mine). But I broke the pressure plate which lifts the snap off, so I had to finagle a screwdriver tip into it. 7 nuts and its out. The inlet hoses had to remain with the tank as the hose clamps are integral with them.

Since I’ve got a 4cyl TJ, the tank is made to limit the amount of fuel you can fill. My tank had a fill amount of maybe 15 gals. Though it’s the same tank as a 4.0l, which capacity is 19 gal. I cut the return fill line (smaller tube) using a landscaping shear.

The fill tube is with the floating ball. I can only assume the ball is to keep the fuel in when upside down.

This is a shot of the pressure breather.

Couple of other note worthy problems: The top straps broke. So I had to drill a hole and use hooks to secure the tank to the skid plate. I also had a problem getting the fuel pump to sit correct so that I could tighten the hold down nut (big yellowish nut). There is a rubber gasket which kept the fuel pump at an angle and I couldn't screw the hold down nut till I had this correct.

Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Liljeepz

Re: Swapping in late model gas tank skid plate
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:24:39 PM »
Since I’ve got a 4cyl TJ, the tank is made to limit the amount of fuel you can fill. My tank had a fill amount of maybe 15 gals. Though it’s the same tank as a 4.0l, which capacity is 19 gal. I cut the return fill line (smaller tube) using a landscaping shear.

I did not know that! I have a kilby skid on order (back order! :rant:) I will look at mine and see what I can do.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for that tip!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:44:41 PM »
Yup, it works for TJ's too.  BUT this is the first I've seen of pictures of the vent.  Can I snag those picts and add then to the FAQ?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jcsanders79

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
I also have done this mod to my 97', there are a lot of guys that were saying cut both tubes.  I only cut the small one and I also did it with gargen shears, works great!!!  It was easy until I went to put the sending unit back and I had the same issue as Jagular7, it was a bitch to say the least!!!

Liljeepz

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:35:32 PM »
So why do they limit the amount of fuel you can fill for a 4 cyl? Why not just keep them all the same? Is it weight balance?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 10:21:56 PM »
So why do they limit the amount of fuel you can fill for a 4 cyl? Why not just keep them all the same? Is it weight balance?

So they can charge more without having the added costs of making two seperate tanks.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 05:58:35 AM »
The fill tube is with the floating ball. I can only assume the ball is to keep the fuel in when upside down.
If upside down, the ball will float away from the tube opening allowing fuel out.

Looks to me like it's there to prevent fuel from sloshing out the fill tube when full.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:15:02 AM »
That ball is there to keep fuel from spraying out when the tank builds up a bit of pressure they have been using those on cars and trucks since the mid eighties the one that prevents spills is the vent/rollover valve every gasoline powered vehicle has those
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline jagular7

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:23:44 PM »
Yup, it works for TJ's too.  BUT this is the first I've seen of pictures of the vent.  Can I snag those picts and add then to the FAQ?

Sure not a problem. I just stuck the digital inside, made sure it was on closeup and flash, took a couple of shots, even got the vent and there are 2 vents.
Jagular7

Offline jagular7

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »
Filled up today. Took over 16.6 gals. I usually fill with 12-13 gals for the amount of less than 1/4 tank.
Jagular7

Liljeepz

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
Hum... Mine must already be cut... I can put about 17 gallons in on average.