Author Topic: Hey Jeffy Got a good one for ya 3.0L GM motor.  (Read 3032 times)

jwrape

Hey Jeffy Got a good one for ya 3.0L GM motor.
« on: December 30, 2005, 02:34:12 PM »
A fellow 2.5L guy on Pirate asked about using a 3.0L commercial block as a upgrade for the 2.5L block.
RNandKT asked: Has anyone tried using a 3.0L comercial GM motor to rebuild in place of the stock 2.5L. I understand the block and piston size for the 3.0 is nearly the same as the 2.5L. So would it be possible to get a 3.0L from a boat or commercial vehical rebuild it using the it's stock longer crank shaft, bore it to .020/.030/??? put in a nice cam etc etc then bolt on all the stock externals of the 2.5L (i.e. head fuel injection pulleys power steering etc etc) and come out with a 3.1/3.2/??? stroker 4 cyl for my YJ?

I understand that just using the crank and con rods into the 2.5 block would not work because it would have clearence issues with the distributer??? So the 3.0 block would have to be retained???

I think if this was all done "stroking it", nice cam, bored out, maybe some rocker rollers for the head, (along with some of the other external upgrades, like a throttle body from a 4.0, bigger injectors, and a nice header) perhaps the little stroker motor could be pushed into the 200 hp range? That would save all the headache of rewiring in a motor swap, and put it into hp range of the stock 4.0.

Any info or thoughts on this would be welcome.

Ever heard of this? What type of vehicles would this block be in? He mentioned boats.

Here is the thread from over there.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427414

Let me know what you think.
I invited him over here to the dark side. Maybe he will pop up and post some Q's abou this too. I am just to curious to wait for him to post.  :D

jwrape

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 02:44:17 PM »
Googled and found this:
3.0L Marine engine (1967-2005)  

Late model (1990 and later) 3.0L (181 ci)  remanufactured marine engine (one piece rear main seal, flat tappet cam). This motor has been professionally remanufactured to meet or exceed GM OEM marine engine stock specifications. This 3.0L engine is rated at 140hp at the crank. If you have a 1990 - 2005 3.0L marine engine, then this is your exact engine. If you have a pre 1989 or earlier 3.0L or 2.5L engine, then this will work with a few modifications (see 3.0L new base marine engine for details).

This 3.0L marine engine comes equipped with the following:

-3.0L GM marine engine (standard rotation)
-Corrosion resistant urethane paint
-Cylinder head, engine block and all internal components
-Flat tappet cam shaft
-4 quart rear sump marine oil pan
-Fel-Pro marine head gasket
-Harmonic balancer and circulation pump
-One Year (parts and labor) Written Warranty

$1,499.00 plus shipping!

Item number: 3000-RR

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/product_info.php?products_id=69

jwrape

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 03:10:46 PM »
The data I have read says it's 140 HP carburated. Would I be safe to assume that Fuel injection will bump the HP up a little?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 07:21:26 PM »
I think you'd be SOL if you have any sort of inspection.  Honestly, I'd probably go with a 3.4L since it's simple swap that's been done on XJ's.

Emission wise you can not convert a vehicle that has EFI to a Carb but you can go from Carb to EFI.  I believe the engines have been used before.  I think I remember a CJ that has a Mercruiser 3.0L in it.  I might even still have that magazine someplace.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jwrape

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"
I think you'd be SOL if you have any sort of inspection.  Honestly, I'd probably go with a 3.4L since it's simple swap that's been done on XJ's.

Emission wise you can not convert a vehicle that has EFI to a Carb but you can go from Carb to EFI.  I believe the engines have been used before.  I think I remember a CJ that has a Mercruiser 3.0L in it.  I might even still have that magazine someplace.

What is the 3.4L? Is it like the 2.5L or does it require wiring changes etc..?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 12:58:29 PM »
3.4L is what 2.8L XJ owners swap to.  It's a small V6.  (A GM engine 3400 series.)  Used with Camaro's, Buicks, Olds and many others.  It's still used today as a MPFI transverse engine.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

KS98TJ

Re: Hey Jeffy Got a good one for ya 3.0L GM motor.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:04:33 PM »
I actually have a 3.0L/181 c.i. GM inline four.  Of course, it's in my Bayliner!  8)

It's a tough engine with gobs of low-end torque.  Another strength is that it uses a timing gear instead of a timing chain- good at high rpm's.  They do work hard in a marine application, though.  This means that they can be sensitive to overly advanced timing or low octane fuel.

Now, putting one in an automotive application would be tricky since you don't really have the manifolds, etc. for it.  I doubt a forklift is going to have really high-flowing manifolds, either.  Fuel injection is rumored to be in the works from Mercruiser, but all 3.0Ls are still carbureted for now.  Heck, I still have points ignition and a 2-bbl. Rochester on mine.  I can't easily upgrade to electronic ignition due to the Electronic Shift Assist.  I haven't had a problem with my points and figure they're cheaper than tearing up the gearing in my outdrive- $$$!

My recollection is that this engine traces its roots back to the Chevy Nova II back in the '60s, particularly for the South American Market.  It's been around a long time and has a rock-solid track record.

I hope this sheds a little light on the subject...  :)