Author Topic: 47mpg and drivable? Easy Jeep Diesel Swap  (Read 12522 times)

TrailsLessTaken

47mpg and drivable? Easy Jeep Diesel Swap
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
http://blogs.jpmagazine.com/6667601/editorials/easy-jeep-diesel-swap/index.html

HPA Motorsports has long been involved in the tuner industry but recently decided to take a stab at the Jeep engine swap market with it's VW diesel swap kit. The kit allows the installation of a somewhat-common '01-'06 VW Beetle-sourced 1.9L TDI diesel engine in front of the stock Jeep four-cylinder AX-5 manual transmission (other common Jeep tranny options coming soon).

In stock form the VW TDI engine pumps out 100 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque, but is said to be easily cranked up to an impressive 165 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque with a simple power flash (The factory Jeep 2.5L puts out 123hp and 145 lb-ft). The 1.9L TDI weighs in at a svelte 265 pounds compared to the Jeep 2.5L at 325 pounds. It's 55 pounds lighter than the four cylinder! In the Jetta the 1.9L gets up to 47mpg, in a Jeep it will likely get slightly fewer mpgs because of the Jeeps added weight and increased wind resistance but it should easily hit the 30-40 mpg range with normal use.

VW engineers confirmed that the 1.9L oiling system was designed to handle a 1G environment allowing for 45-degree angles in all directions. An optional deep oil pan may be made available for even more extreme use. 

The TDI fits in the Jeep with no fender, firewall, or tub modifications. The Jeep radiator is replaced with a VW radiator and fan, retaining all of the VW fan controls which are integrated into the factory VW electronics. The Jeep tranny remains in the factory location eliminating the need for any driveline modifications. The Jeep tranny, flywheel, and clutch are retained. They are adapted to the VW TDI bellhousing and engine. The kit will include engine mounts, a flywheel adapter, a transmission adapter, and an exhaust downpipe. Electrical and complete engine packages will also be available. Keep an eye out in Jp Magazine for the full swap. For more info go to HPA Motorsports.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: 47mpg and drivable? Easy Jeep Diesel Swap
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
the 47mpg is for that motor in a Jetta, will be a different story in a Jeep

but it's a cool swap, wish these engines were as available as the 2.5L Jeep ones.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
I just saw this on jp about 5 mins ago it's a cool swap!! and lighter!!  I can't get over it's lighter then the 4banger.  more power and less weight and already turbo and could be bumped up!!

would be nice for sure just having the torque for highway use

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
I have mentioned the VW TDi's in the swap thread but no one cared.  Not sure why you'd want to keep the AX-5 unless you didn't want to swap it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
alas...it wouldnt really be a jeep anymore.....
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
I have mentioned the VW TDi's in the swap thread but no one cared.  Not sure why you'd want to keep the AX-5 unless you didn't want to swap it.

sorry I missed your post jeffy. I like the idea of a light diesel.  I know the ax-15 is suppose to be a lighter trans but I haven't had issues with it other then water damage. I would more just like it for the highway torque more then anything.  and the eng is lighter!!

Torch_Ind

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
for me the derision to swap would depend on the cost of this kit and engine.

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
I checked their website, they didnt have anything listed yet.  This would def be something I will probably do

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
Well, this would be very interesting to do, especially around here where all gas stations carry diesel fuel (unlike the US).  I would think keeping the AX5 makes it cheaper, so it's more attractive.  But I dont know how well it would cope with twice the torque on the VW engine (assuming it is swooped up). 

Unless it's crazy expensive, i would certainly jump on this engine...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
Well, this would be very interesting to do, especially around here where all gas stations carry diesel fuel (unlike the US).  I would think keeping the AX5 makes it cheaper, so it's more attractive.  But I dont know how well it would cope with twice the torque on the VW engine (assuming it is swooped up).  

Unless it's crazy expensive, i would certainly jump on this engine...
I suspect the VW uses the GM 60* bellhousing bolt pattern.  If that's the case then you would need to do the Dakota bell housing swap to use an AX-15 or NV3550.  Too bad you can't use a NSG-370.  I think that would be prefect.  The other option would be a NV4500.

I think a 1.9L would be a good choice BUT having to get it passed CA SMOG would add some additional hoops to jump through.  It would really limit your choices down to 2001-2002.  Then again, you can't find newer 1.9L VW's in CA.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:13:34 PM by Jeffy »
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »
I suspect the VW uses the GM 60* bellhousing bolt pattern.  If that's the case then you would need to do the Dakota bell housing swap to use an AX-15 or NV3550.  Too bad you can't use a NSG-370.  I think that would be prefect.  The other option would be a NV4500.

I think a 1.9L would be a good choice BUT having to get it passed CA SMOG would add some additional hoops to jump through.  It would really limit your choices down to 2001-2002.  Then again, you can't find newer 1.9L VW's in CA.

an even better option would be the Audi 2.4L TDI (or 2.5L, can't remember what it was). Some VWs also had the same motor in them but can't remember which ones.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »
Emailed the company today to get some more info, not to much more than what the release said:

Bob,

Thank you for your email. We will have the kit packages ready for early
September once we have had the month of August to shake down the rig and
proof the BOM's.

We will offer a do it your self package and one with the complete engine
included and also onsite installations.

I don't yet have all the costs before me, but the mounts, and gearbox
adaptor and exhaust/after cooler package is aimed at being an affordable
solution.

The engine is so quiet and such a natural fit for this Jeep it is amazing.
The PD diesel of Volkswagen is so easy to flash tune, it should offer the
Jeep enthusiast a solid long range back country option.

We will update our homepage with these details and the entire build process
will be covered by JP in the next weeks.

Marcel Horn
President
HPA Motorsports Inc.
604-598-8520 x 106
www.hpamotorsports.com
www.vadpro.com

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
an even better option would be the Audi 2.4L TDI (or 2.5L, can't remember what it was). Some VWs also had the same motor in them but can't remember which ones.
Honestly, I like the 1.9L.  It's proven to be dependable and has some good numbers while still being lighter then the 2.5L is replaces.  Being able to fit in a YJ is a plus. 

I don't think Audi ever offered a TDI in the US which would be a problem.

Maybe I'll contact them and see what would be possible in California.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:11:19 PM by Jeffy »

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
Here is a pic he just sent me with the drivetrain pulled out and bolted together to give you a better idea of how they have it going together and size

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
Here is a pic he just sent me with the drivetrain pulled out and bolted together to give you a better idea of how they have it going together and size

looks like there's a thick adapter between the block and bellhousing